Chapter 4: The Lover's Dilemma

Start from the beginning

"It says...um...a—"

Sato then interrupted Matsushita by reading what's written on the news aloud. "Lab-rat?!"

"What?" Both Karuizawa and Shinohara let out a shocked voice, which overcame the also shocked exclamation of Satou.

A lab-rat?! I just remembered saying something similar a few months ago in the winter break, something about being in a manga and him being an agent. Thinking back, it's about the same time I stopped denying my feelings...Ah, mou! More importantly, a lab-rat? Seriously?

"What we heard from Ike earlier, do you think it's true?" Shinohara asked.

Satou then looked at Shinohara. "What you heard? What is it?"

"Ki—" Matsushita uttered something but stopped midway after looking at Satou.

Satou turned back to Matsushita."Ki?"

"..." Matsushita was silent.

Ki? Kid? King? Kiss? Kiss...Ah, Mou! Mou!

Matsushita had trouble looking at Satou; but then, she repeated what she was trying to say earlier, "Ki...ller..."

"..." Both Karuizawa and Satou were so shocked that silence prevailed over their words for a short moment—"What?!"—before letting out their disbelieving exclamations.

Something suddenly crushed Karuizawa's heart. She felt a squeezing sensation, a painful sensation.

That's way too overboard! He's...He's...

She then remembered traits of him she shouldn't have at a time like this—deceptive, manipulative, cruel, and capability to act on violence—things she'd come to accept.

But surely, surely he can't seriously be a killer!

"It's written here."

"!"

No...no, no, no.

"I just noticed...but, it's a hot topic in the forums and some new group chat I'm invited in."

I can't take this anymore, I have to leave. "...Restroom," I said. It sounded suspicious, but it's still better than showing emotions here in public. Luckily, there are no restrooms in this particular cafe.

After their affirmative nods, she proceeded to walk towards the restroom of Keyaki mall.

By the time she can't see them anymore, she hastened her steps.

I don't know what I would've said, would've done if I stayed there any longer.

⟡ ⟡ ⟡

She reached the public restroom and was thankful that no one was there. She looked at the door of an enclosed toilet nearest to her. She was thinking of hiding there for some time; but then, someone called her.

"Karuizawa-san." It was Satou, she went after her.

"W—why...?"

"Why are you here?" is what she wanted to say; but, right now she's not feeling well, she felt something heavy in her chest. Right now, she wants to be alone. She doesn't want anyone near her.

"..." Satou was silent. She probably wants to comfort Karuizawa knowing that the so-called 'killer" is Karuizawa's very own boyfriend.

"I don't...really know what to say; but, somehow I think it's the right thing for me to do."

"..."

Satou slowly approached Karuizawa and held her hand. She had an empathetic expression.

"I—I—Sorry, I can't take this!" Karuizawa forcibly removed Satou's hand from hers and rushed out of the restroom holding her tears back.