Part 2

Although she couldn't move, she internally nodded. Her vision slowly came back, as the once dreamy seascape, turned to the all too familiar rooftop. She was placed delicately on to the landing, wearing the exact same outfit she had donned that night.

Glancing into the reflection of a nearby window, she smoothed a piece of the auburn hair she had straightened to perfection, nostalgia rising in her throat. Her pink halter top rippled in the wind, as she patted her wrinkled jean skirt.

A Small noise alarmed her once again, causing her to perk up. A flashing green light showed the sixty seconds she had summoned. She nodded ready for her chance.

GO!

The crowd of clumsy teenagers from that night began to fill the walkway. People laughing and dancing, the smell of smoky night air, and sweat filled her lungs.

Although she was quite overwhelmed from the novelty of it all, she was on a mission to bring some sense of normalcy back into her life.

"CAL?" she called out. The clock was ticking, albeit slowly, but ticking sure enough. Scanning the crowd was useless, as the dim light didn't do her any favours. She climbed onto a platform and was able to get a better view.

"Cal?"

It was much more crowded than she remembered. Couples danced in the middle while groups of friends loitered on the sides. There were so many voices on top of the beat pulsing through her head. Colourful lights bounced off the surfaces, washing the night in whimsy.

"Margo?" called a confused voice. Margo knew that voice and searched urgently until her gaze fell on to the boy himself. She pushed her way through the crowd to see him.

He was just like she remembered. The same gelled back hair, chubby cheeks, ever present dimples, and those sweet brown eyes. She could never forget those big brown eyes even after so long.

"Margo, it's you!" he smiled embracing her in what may have not been a while for him, but what had been an impossibly long time for Margo.

"Cal, I have been waiting a long time to tell you this." she smiled. He looked down at her confused.

"What is it? You know you can tell me anything Margo." His innocent smile warmed her heart.

It would be the last time she saw it.

"Yeah that's the thing. I love you."

Cal stood there in quiet disbelief.

"I love you Cal." she whispered.

"Margo, I love you." he smiled, his rosy cheeks illuminated by the light.

"But we can't do this now." she finished for him. He nodded solemnly at a clear loss for words.

"Yeah, I know." she murmured, as she silently tormented herself, wondering why she thought things would be different this time. How had she been so naive as to think that all her worries would be at ease if she just confessed her feelings?

"Wait, it's not that I don't want to be with you, because I do, but it would never work. You know that I like Zara, and we are just so different. We live in different cities, Margo."

"I'm sorry." she turned her head slightly, so she wouldn't have to make unbearable eye contact.

"Don't ever apologize for how you feel." he said, putting his palm on her shoulder, forcing her to look up.

In her peripheral vision she could see the blinking light, telling her she only had eleven seconds left. She looked into Cal's eyes one last time.

Although Margo surely believed there was no future for her, when she looked into Cal's eyes, it's as if none of that mattered, because he gave her hope.

10

9

"Margo?"

8

7

"Yes?"

6

"I will never forget what we had." He said, tears sparkling in the corners of his eyes. She felt her own tears starting to make way.

5

4

Margo leaned in, bringing his face to her level. They embraced in a somber kiss. Although words couldn't explain the loss they shared, it was spared by their parting kiss.

3

Cal took her hand in his, placing a gentle peck on her ring finger, for all the things they would never get to do.

2

"Goodbye Margo."

1

"Goodbye."

0

Her vision blurred once again, into a colourless submission. Her body was lifeless floating through a subliminal fog.