Chapter Eight: That's All About To Change

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry." He told her.

"Its all right. He was just a daft metal dog. Fine, really." Despite this statement, her voice was breaking, so the Doctor wrapped an arm around her, pulling her against him. I wrapped my arms around hers, leaning my head on her shoulder.

~~~

Once that was over, it was time for Sarah Jane and I to go home, and we'd meet with the Doctor again in the morning.  Sarah Jane dropped me off, and somehow...I knew it was time for me to start packing.

Because as strange as the Doctor is, and as strong as my initial distaste for him was...I trust him. I trust that he will always save the day, and most of all...I trust that he'll keep his promise. Going with him is the only way of discovering who I truly am, and if everyday traveling with the Doctor is like this one...

That's hardly a price to pay for the truth.

I shoved some clothes into my messenger bag, along with anything else I thought I'd might need, and then I went to bed. Sarah Jane picked me up in the morning, and we headed to some random garden, where the TARDIS was parked, looking rather odd among the perfectly trimmed hedges. The door opened as we approached, and the Doctor stood before us, still dressed in the same suit, his hands tucked into his pockets.

"Cup of tea?" He inquired. He stepped back and allowed us to enter first. Rose and Mickey were also inside, wearing new clothes as well. Crammed inside the small box was a very large room. There were round things plastered all over the walls and large, curling pillars surrounding a large console type contraption in the very center. I could also see a door, indicating that there was even more. The Doctor came inside, stepping up beside me with an expectant look on his face.

"Yes, I know you're waiting for me to freak out and point out the fact that 'its bigger on the inside', but unfortunately for you, I already knew that." He sighed and I shrugged. "Sorry to disappoint you, Doctor."

"Its more...baffled than disappointed." He told me. I sighed, facing forward again.

"You and me both."

"You've redecorated." Sarah Jane pointed out.

"Do you like it?" The Doctor questioned.

"Oh, I do. I preferred it as it was, but it'll do."

"I love it." Rose told her.

"Hey, what's 47 Times 369?"

"No idea," She replied, "Its gone now, the oil's faded."

"But you're still clever." Sarah Jane told her. "More than a match for him."

"You and me both." Rose turned her head, looking at the Doctor. "Doctor?"

"Um, we're about to head off, but...you could come with us." He suggested.

"No." Sarah Jane stated. "I can't do this anymore. Besides, I've got a much bigger adventure ahead! Time I stopped waiting for you and found a life of my own." I smiled, walking over to her and wrapping my arms around her shoulders.

"Can I come?" Mickey asked. Sarah Jane looked at him, confused. "No, not with you! I mean, with you," He pointed to the Doctor, " 'Cause I'm not the tin dog and I wanna see what's out there."

"Oh go on Doctor," Sarah prompted, "Sarah Jane Smith and Mickey Smith, you need a Smith on board."

"Ok then, I could do with a laugh." Mickey made a face in celebration whereas Rose could not look less excited by that idea.

"Rose is that ok?" Mickey asked.

"No, great. Why not?" She said, rather unconvincingly. 

"Well I better go." She stepped up, pulling Rose aside, and I walked over to the Doctor.

"What about you?" He asked, keeping his eyes trained on the console.

"What about me?" I questioned, looking up at him. He met my eyes.

"Well, I've got to keep an eye on you," He replied, "And I can't very well find out who or what you are if you're still here." I smiled, turning to face him and crossing my arms over my chest.

"Are you saying you want me to travel with you, Doctor?"

"No, Of course not! I'm saying-" He stopped talking as I raised my eyebrows skeptically at him. He sighed, but eventually nodded. "Yes...I want you to travel with us. With me."

"There it is." I ruffled his hair and he batted my hand away.

"Oi...alright." I glanced over as Sarah Jane pulled back from hugging Rose before walking towards the door. the Doctor and I walked over, exiting the TARDIS first and waiting for her to follow. 

"Its daft," She started, "but I haven't ever thanked you for that time and like I said, I wouldn't have missed it for the world."

"Something to tell the grandkids."

"Oh, I think it'll be someone else's grandkids now."

"Right yes, sorry. I didn't get a chance to ask..." The Doctor trailed off. "There hasn't been anyone...you know."

"Well, there was this one guy. I travelled with him for a while, but he was a tough act to follow." He smiled. "Goodbye, Doctor-"

"Oh, its not goodbye-"

"You say it, please. This time. Say it."

"Goodbye. My Sarah Jane!" He shook his head wrapping his arms around her waist and picking her up. She hugged him back and I stepped a little ways away from them to give them some space. He eventually put her down, and they smiled at each other.

"Right...now, onto the next order of business," Sarah Jane looked at me, causing me to raise my eyebrows, "Oh, don't look at me like that. I knew from the moment we saw him in that hallway that I would be losing my Partner in crime."

"How could you have possibly known that?" The Doctor asked. "She hated me up until now."

"Yes, well, lets just say I know her a bit better than you do." I smiled, rolling my eyes. "But I also know...that you're her best chance at finding out the truth. And she would give anything for that."

"Sarah Jane-"

"Its alright." She stated, putting her hands on my shoulders. "We had a good run, you and I. Even though I missed the Doctor you...you helped me to feel alive again. It was almost just the same as travelling with him so...I expect he'll have his work cut out for him." I smiled.

"You know....you're the only family I've ever had." To my surprise, tears welled up in my eyes. She smiled, pulling me into a hug.

"That's all about to change, Mary. Trust me." I laughed tearfully, hugging her tightly before pulling away, wiping stray tears from my eyes. She turned to look at the Doctor. "You take care of her. If you drop her off, you bring her back to me, because if I find out that you just off and dumped her somewhere-"

"Oi, alright, give me a bit more credit than that." She raised her eyebrows at him. He nodded, stepping back into the TARDIS. She turned back to me. 

"Good luck on your next adventure...Mary Perdita." I smiled.

"You as well...Sarah Jane Smith." She laughed and we hugged one last time before I turned to face the TARDIS again.

What lied beyond those doors was utterly unknown to me...its was a complete mystery. But then again, with my life...

Why should I expect anything less?