Chapter 14

†

previously....

        Reed made his way forward with the other 17 year olds and waited for the matches to be revealed.

          "First match, Reed White versus Amaya Johnson."

           Shit.                                                                                                                                                                                 

          I watched as Reed tentatively made his way forward. Stopping once to look around, catching the eyes of the many people watching him. Amaya Johnson smiled as she walked, little sound emitting as her feet hit the ground. Amaya was lean like Reed, though, she stood one or two inches shorter than him. I knew from sheer observation that Amaya preferred the sciences, but she wasn't a bad fighter in any means. 

            The match could go either way, Amaya having a slight upper hand involving her ability to do well under pressure. Reed was usually quite scatter brained and panicked. However, he looked alright, he looked like he was trying to calm himself down which is already an improvement. He wasn't willingly self-destructing. 

            Reed's eyes landed on me. 

            "You can do it." I mouthed to him, causing a small smile to splay across his lips. 

             His eyes moved slowly to the person next to me, my brother. I observed the interaction, to the average person it was subtle. But as someone who has watched these two interact their whole life, it was obvious. Khalil gave him a reassuring smile and only then did Reed's body relax. I averted my eyes, the fight was now going to begin.

             "Shake hands with your opponent and the match will commence." Parker spoke to the two. 

              The two shook hands and slowly backed up from one another, neither gaining a specific energy of offense or defense. Unsurprisingly though, Amaya was the first to make a move. She curled her fist closely by her side, then proceeded to aim for Reed's nose. Reed's eyes widened, dodging the hit just by a couple inches. Now Amaya had set the tone, showing Reed what type of fight he was working with. This fight was bound to be rougher and less precise than some that had gone before. Although, each fighting style had its advantages depending on the individual. 

            Reed stepped back and readied his hands in front of his face, Amaya did the same. The two began circling each other. With surprising speed Amaya landed a hit on Reed's left eye sending him stumbling backward. He didn't let the closeness slip away though as he swept her feet from under her. She stumbled to the ground and let out a shaky breath before quickly getting back up. This fight would be one of endurance. 

             Minutes passed, both Reed and Amaya sending hits before retreating. They both knew they didn't have the strength to land a knockout of any sort, instead they waited for the other to give up to the fate of exhaustion. Small cuts drawn across their faces, invisible bruises waiting to form. Fights like these were common, usually when both opponents were close in strength. 

              The two were moving around each other when Reed planted his body firmly and launched his claws towards her shoulder, successfully gashing her. My brain was screaming in excitement but I kept my face blank. I had never seen Reed show such fire, he was unusually determined. Amaya quickly sent a counterattack, kicking him across his face. 

              As more minutes went by the two become increasingly more messy with their precision. Soon, they were stumbling to the ground. Reed now had long gashes against his face and Amaya had a bloody nose that was now worryingly crooked. Both injuries would heal but I couldn't hold back a small cringe. Out of the corner of my eye I could see parents getting anxious. This was the longest fight of the day. 

             Amaya gained a burst of energy and launched forward, trying to reach Reed's throat. Reed wouldn't let her win, not now. She jumped onto him, freezing. She could see something we couldn't. Tiredly she backed up, he had his claws to her throat. 

            He had won. 

            "Congratulations Reed." Keta stuttered slightly, not knowing wether to skip the bow to your opponent part. The two of them were already passed out on the dirt.

            A beat of silence passed before everyone regained their senses. The medical nurses on standby rushed to the center and readied the two to be put on stretchers. After a minute or so Amaya and Reed were hauled away. I wasn't worried though, they would heal.

            The last fights of the night passed by quickly. My brain was now filled with many different kids and fighting techniques. The crowd now dissipating, I walked over to my brother, Keta, and Parker. Keta had a smile drawn on his face while my brother and Parker's were relatively blank.

            "That was refreshing. There are many good fighters this year." Keta's voice rung out in the silence causing us to nod in agreement. 

             "Good, we will need them." Khalil added. "Much is to come, if we're not prepared..."

              My brother's low voice trailed off into the open air.

             "We'll crumble." I finished off. 

              After a long walk through the city I finally made it to the hospital. Occupancy of patients was usually low though, as werewolves heal pretty fast, but the hospital still has a very important purpose. The hospital is more busy with the recovery of refuged omegas. Even till this day omegas are still mistreated and abused in certain packs. To combat that we try our best to help as many as we can. 

            "Do I look hot right now?" Reed said sarcastically as I entered the room.

            I laughed loudly. A large bruise was forming on his left eye, gauze covered his right cheek, and his eyes were drooping. I could only imagine the bruises that would form tomorrow.

            "Hot is an understatement." I walked over to him and sat on the hospital bed. "Congratulations." 

             "I wouldn't have won if it weren't for that boy Leo." Reed laughed quietly. "He inspired my last move, if it wasn't for that I would've lost." 

             I nodded with a smile. 

             "So, when is your mate coming to visit us?" Reed tilted his head to the side, grimacing from pain in the process.

             "I'm not sure. Soon, I guess I'm just worried about what will happen when word gets out." I faltered. 

              Reed nodded understandingly and sent me a look of sympathy. "Whatever happens, I'll be here for you. We all will." 

              I stared at him for a moment. All I could hope was that what he was saying was true. 

authors note: hope everyone is doing wonderful. also just so it's clear, the hospital scene occurs before the phone call Haru and Elijah had during the baby shower. have a nice day!