Kabanata 29

I spent hours in my room. Nakatulog ako sa sobrang pag-iisip. Nagising na lang ako ay madilim na at nagsisimula na naman ang ulan. I yawned and felt the rumbles on my stomach.

Madilim nang lumabas ako. I tried switching the lights on but it's not working. Black-out na naman. I didn't know there was a typhoon. I'm not watching any news.

I used my phone as flashlight as I went down. Napatalon ako sa gulat nang mailawan ko si Rashid sa kusina. He was at the backdoor, holding a cup of coffee and topless. He looked at me when he heard my footstep. Magulo ang buhok at tanging itim na maong pants lang ang suot.

"What are you doing here?" bulyaw ko. "Akala ko ba aalis ka na?"

He raised his eyebrow. "Why would I? This is my house."

"Are you forgetting something, Mr. Añonuevo? We agreed that I'll stay here. I'll pay you the exact amount whenever you want. Just tell me."

"I'll let you stay here and you'll pay, yes. But that doesn't mean I'll leave."

"Ano?!" suminghap ako. "Are you kidding me? Why would I want to stay here with you? Ang kapal ng mukha mo."

Umatras yata ang gutom ko dahil sa kaniya. Staying with him in one room, even in just a little bit of time, means nightmare.

"Take it or leave it." he shrugged and sipped on his coffee. "I'm already giving you a chance, Miss Avila. Hindi kita pipilitin kung ayaw mo."

"Fine. I'll buy a property in this village."

"Unfortunately, it's all taken." he scoffed.

"You're lying."

He licked his lips and tilted his head. "You think I'm lying just to make you stay here? Kulang ka yata sa tulog, Miss Avila."

"Why? Can't you do that? I doubt that this is the only house you got. You managed to build success for your companies and you're an attorney yourself, don't tell me you don't even have a house or a mansion?"

He pursed his lips, stopping it from smirking. Tinakpan niya ng kamao ang bibig at tumikhim. Kita ko ang panunuya sa mga mata niya na pilit sineseryoso.

"I wonder how you know all of that, Miss Avila. Not all people know me that much."

I stiffened.

Umiwas ako ng tingin. "Well.. of course we did a research. You can't just get me your company's ambassador without going under investigation."

"Pina-imbestigahan mo ako?"

"No!" I answered briefly. "Of course not! Not exactly like that. We just did a little research.."

"You deserve an oscar."

"I'm telling the truth! I'm not a creep like you. Hindi kita sinusundan!"

"I didn't follow you around. I told you, I'm doing work." he clenched his jaw. "Do you seriously think I'd go crazy over you after those years?"

Natahimik ako. I didn't expect he'd bring up a past in the middle of our fight. Sumiklab ang kidlat kasabay ng paglakas ng ulan. An invisible lightning was almost seen in between of our glares, too.

I swallowed hard. "Bakit hindi ba? Ang dami daming modelo sa mundo, bakit ako pa ang kinuha mo? For what? For me to witness how great were you doing after hurting me before?"

Kinain ng hakbang niya ang pagitan naming dalawa. Napahawak ako sa upuan. The darkness is creeping around us but we can both see each other at least just a little bit.