Kabanata 25

"Gosh, this rumors!" Reign massaged her temple.

Pahid ng make-up brush ang naramdaman ko sa mukha ko mula sa make-up artist. They know I don't like artists to put so much pressure in doing my make up. Ramdam ko naman ang marahan at maingat na ginagawa ng artist sa akin.

I raised my eyebrow while looking at the mirror. "What rumor?"

"The guy on your past Instagram account! Bakit naman kasi hindi pa nabura-bura 'yang account mo na 'yan! You really can't remember your password?"

I rolled my eyes with her question. "I told you, I can't. I lost my phone before the accident. Do I have time to search for that and delete my account now?"

"Sumasakit ulo ko dito," tumayo siya at pabagsak na nilapag ang cellphone. "We just have to thanks that the netizens still couldn't recognize who the man is. In fairness naman kasi, ang gwapo, ha. Parang out of the world."

Hindi ako nagsalita. I'm used to people discussing about my pasts. Parang hindi ko na maiiwasan iyon, lalo na sa industriyang ito. The thing is.. I'm not comfortable.

Iba ang mundo na ginagalawan ko ngayon. Ang mundo na puro ako na lang. This time, I am really independent. I have to depend on myself and not to others now. Sa huli, ako lang ang matitira sa akin. Before, I think that being independent is such a basic thing to do. I did it before because I had someone with me. But now, I'm all alone. In this big world.

My mother died because of heart failure. Little did we know, she already had it a year before it happened. Tuwing hindi siya umuuwi, nasa ospital siya kung saan nandoon ang kaibigan niya. Tita Julia, the doctor who is my mother's friend was sorry because she didn't told us about her situation. It's not her fault. Mom doesn't want anyone to know.

I know she did that because there's a lot of people who can use it against her, against our family and against our business.

The night I saw my father in a large table with his other family and Rashid's, Mom was there too. She came home drunk just what our maid said and had the heart attack in her bathroom.

She died just after she called me. She died alone. I blamed myself for her death. I couldn't sleep without crying.

I felt stupid.

Kung sana dumating ako.. sana nandito pa siya.

"Attorney," I drank my last shot of espresso martini.

I locked myself on my veranda just so my manager wouldn't see me drinking. Cassandra won't mind it.

"Miss Avila, you called."

How I hate that surname.

Tumikhim ako. "How was it, Attorney? I know my mother left a property deed for me. You've worked on it, right?"

"Yes. Thankfully, your mother is a critical thinker. She has been working on your property deed as I've been said and it's on our table now." he said. "This legal document that says Mrs. Avila is transferring her property, which is your house, to her daughter, Gianna Bryn Avila."

Sumandal ako sa swivel chair at pinaglaruan ang baso ng martini sa harap ko. I knew she'll do that. I remember how much she's been talking about it.

She knew she won't stay for too long..

"Thank you, attorney. So I can get back my house, right?"

"Sure, Miss Avila. The house is under your name, anyway. Do you want us to get a team and a warrant?"

Bumuntong hininga ako. "Ako na ang bahala doon, attorney. If they still insist, I'd call you for that."

I gritted my teeth. Guess what, my father let his mistress and daughter live in my house. My house.