Chapter 22, Ready to Run

Start from the beginning

I quickly ran back inside, knowing everyone was about to leave. I grab Jack, making our rounds to say goodbye. The catering service also handles the cleaning, so I'm thankful there. I wanted everyone to leave so I could find Cassie. She wouldn't just run. She's practical. Text her you dipwad.

I pull out my phone and text her. The message read: Hey, is everything okay? Why did you leave without saying goodbye?

My phone dinged a few minutes later, with a message from Cassie. It read: I'm sorry. I'll see you at the house. I couldn't be there anymore.

I was confused by the message. Couldn't be here? What happened? Was it because of her Mother? I found Jack, and grabbed him.

"Jack, let's go say goodbye to people." I say, and I can tell he's looking for someone.

"Daddy, where's Cass?" He asks, and I know that means he's looking for Cassidy.

"Cassie had to leave to do some things. We will see her back at the apartment." I say, and he nods.

We walk over to Haley's sister and parents. "There's the little man." I hear Jessica say. I put Jack down, so they could give each other a hug.

"Are you guys heading out?" I ask, looking around. No one had really left yet.

"Yeah. It was a great service, and remember that we're still family. Just because Haley isn't here. If you ever need help with Jack let us know." Jessica says, and I nod. Haley's parents were too old to watch Jack by themselves, since he's such a busy body.

"I will. I know Cassie will be trying to help out when she can too." I say, and Jessica smiles.

"Cassie? Who's that?" She asks.

"Cassidy Dylan. Her and I were best friends growing up. We reconnected about a month ago. I'm thankful to have her back. Jack and I are staying with her until we can move into the apartment I'm going to rent." I say, and Jessica nods her head.

"Oh, I remember her. I'm glad to hear that." She says, and Jack hugs his grandparents goodbye.

I smile, and Haley's mom comes to me. "Aaron, just because Haley's gone doesn't mean you deserve a chance at love again." She whispers in my ear. I smile, and I nod.

"Thank you." I whisper. She smiles and pats my hands. Jessica and her family, along with her parents, were the only one's on Haley's side of the family that came to the funeral.

"Jack, this way." I call, walking over to Cassie's parents. Jack follows, holding my hand.

"Mr. and Mrs. Dylan, thank you guys again for coming." I say, knowing that they were here on behalf of me.

"Oh Aaron, no need to thank us. You're like the son we never had. You know that." Mrs. Dylan explains.

"I'm so sorry for your loss, Son." I hear Mr. Dylan say, and I shake his hand.

He grips it firm and I reply, "Thank you. I am truly grateful I have Cassie to help me."

I see Mrs. Dylan look around for her. "Speaking of Cassie, where'd she go?" She asks.

"She left. I don't really know why. I'm going to talk to her when we get back." I say, and she nods.

"You know Cassie?" Jack says, and Mrs. Dylan laughs, turning her attention to Jack.

"Yes I do, Mister." She says, smiling.

"Wow. That's so cool! How?" He asks, and Mrs. Dylan looks at me. She doesn't want to say that she's her mother, considering Jack just lost his.