Chapter 21, Rest in Peace

Start from the beginning

"I'll be sad too. It's been great seeing you every day. However, I know you're dying to have your apartment back to yourself." Aaron replies, sadly.

"Aar, no. You guys are welcome over anytime. Now, let's go get the munchkin up shall we?" You say, as you put food on separate plates.

"We shall." He says, smiling. That's the first time he's smiled a real smile in eight days.

I set the, now empty, pan back down on the stove. Aaron and I walk into the bedroom, and we sneakily pounce on the bed for Jack to wake up. "Time to wake up, Buddy." Aaron says, shaking Jack slightly.

Jack opens his eyes slowly, rubbing his eyes in the process. "Good morning Jack. I made breakfast!" I say, trying to coarse Jack into waking up faster.

I was right, as his eyes lit up when I said that. "What'd you make Cass?" He says, as he's given me a new nickname. He can't say my full name, so I think it's cute he calls me 'Cass.'

"Uhm- only like hash browns and ham and cheese scrambled eggs." I say, fooling around.

"Yay!" He screams, and I laugh. Jack has still remained somewhat happy since Haley's death. He has his definite moments, but it's because he can't fully comprehend it.

We walk out of the bedroom, and eat breakfast. It almost feels natural, in a way. We normally ate dinner together, unless I worked, but not breakfast. It felt like we were a family, almost. We all sat together, enjoying a meal, it was like the world was okay. Oh shut it, just remember what happened a month after you got back into Aaron's life. What could happen next month? He loses someone else?

Jack starts going back to school next week. Aaron pulled him for a week, so they could spend time together and cope with Haley's death. It's been good for them, and I haven't been around for all of it either. I still went to work, even though the hospital almost begged me to stay away for a few days. I didn't though, as I didn't want to become too attached to Jack or Aaron. They're both so vulnerable, and I don't want Aaron to think I'm trying to manipulate him, because it's certainly not what I'm doing.

...

The service was now over. It was a great service. Beautifully put together, and it was surrounded by those who knew Haley the most. Aaron and Jack, were the last ones to place a white rose on the top of her casket. Jack blew his mother one last kiss, before her body was descended into the ground.

It was quite sad, watching their hearts break again. Aaron kept it together for Jack, but I've been able to see through "his face." I shed a few tears. Haley was Aaron's whole world, no matter the fact if I was the one he "truly loved." She was the one to bear his child, the one that was there more than me over the years.

Aaron and I rode separate, as we didn't want people to make assumptions. Mostly it was our parents that we were worried about. Even after ten years, they still want us betrothed. I've decided they'll never give it up.

We were now at the luncheon gathering. I sat next to my parents, and stayed quiet. In the few days they've been at my house, I don't want them to leave. I didn't want to let them. I knew I had too. My feelings for Aaron have all since come back since living with him. It reminded me of when we were kids. With this, I knew I had to let Aaron come to me. I don't get a say on how long he can grieve, it's always different.

"Honey, are you okay?" Mom asks, knowing I'm never this quiet.

I look over at her and smile. "Yeah, I just can't imagine how much pain Aaron and Jack are in. Jack can't even fully comprehend that his Mother isn't coming back." You start tearing up thinking about it.