4| 𝚑𝚞𝚜𝚑𝚎𝚍 𝚑𝚊𝚞𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚊𝚕𝚎𝚜

Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.

No one could hold in a secret, especially a big one. Whispers would start spreading the haunted tales until everyone knew the dreaded truth, spreading like wildfire. The chaos of the fire burning everything and everyone in its grasp, destroying and destroying until only the horrible ruin remained.

Secrets were enticing, they were mysterious and people couldn't seem to let them go once they had a little taste. It was like poison.

Which was why I limited that poison entirely to myself. No one other than me had to take a sip, feel the detrimental effects.

Still, that didn't stop other people wanting to taste the forbidden fruit, taste the enchanting chemical that would soothe their soul until it just didn't.

I sighed.

I really had to stop thinking about this but it was extremely hard, seeing that it was such a big part of my life, so controlling over me.

I popped my AirPods in, blasting random music immediately, trying to drown away my thoughts with the shouting lyrics that banged against my eardrums. The contrast of the obnoxiously loud music and the quietening of my thoughts was bliss to my being and I started to relax.

I rested my head against the soft of my pillow, my dark hair panning out around me as I closed my eyes and brought my body limp, just relaxing, the only solace and quiet I had really felt the entire day.

My heart that had seemed so anxious slowed until it was a soothing thump in my chest and I smiled.

If only I could feel this level of relaxed forever.

It was after some time that something felt abnormal, different, perhaps even wrong.

I opened my eyes and would've startled had it not been for the strength of my mask at the sight of both Forrest and Rex in my bedroom with the door shut behind them.

They both were beautiful but contrasted greatly.

Forrest was pale, his skin an innocent white with the tiniest hints of colour on those cheeks. He was decked out in dark colours, a great difference to that of his skin colour but the thing to note was his presence. It was large, intimidating and accentuated by the hard line of his face, by the intensity of those eyes of his.

Rex, on the other hand, was as tall as Forrest but he had a softness, a kindness that Forrest didn't possess. His presence was soothing, brown warm eyes that were trusting, a small curve of his lips and arms that were by his sides instead of crossed in front of his chest.

I would never admit it to anyone but seeing them both here, seeing Forrest downstairs and hearing Rex made me realise how much I missed the both of them. Rex had been my friend and I missed the solace in his company but with Forrest, it was the opposite. He had a presence that you couldn't ignore and without it, there was a gaping hole.

"I'm sorry Talor, we knocked," Rex started softly, his eyes apologetic as they watched me sit up and take my AirPods out with my eyes blank and detached, urging them without words to explain why, out of all places, they were in my room.

I watched them as Rex looked towards Forrest as if trying to figure out a way to breach this topic whilst I pretended to be bored even though I was nothing but. However, this layer of detachment with them was what I needed. It was my shield, separating my selfish desires to my painful reality.  I had tried some time to separate myself and I would not allow myself to be brought back to square one.