Chapter 37: Traitor

Liam

Plethora Spring 2046

I'm completely drenched after my workout. It was nice working out alone to get my mind off her. For Adrienne's sake, I've been keeping my distance from Ever, but it has not been without difficulty and I'm not sure how much longer I can keep this up. I should admit it; I'm sure she knows and maybe she'll admit the truth to herself.

If I hurry, I'll make it to my room with enough time to shower before breakfast.

Whoa, a small frame jumps out of my way as I almost crash into it. Ever.

"I'm— sorry. I was rushing down the hall and didn't see you, are you okay?"

"I'm okay."

She leans against the door I can't help but notice the fear in her face and the shakiness in her stature.

"Did I almost knock you down?"

"No."

"Yes, I did. I'm sorry."

"It's okay," she says looking around.

"What are you looking for?"

"Drew, um he said if I needed anything, to call for help but the call button in the room isn't working."

"It's programmed to our armstations."

Drew never pays any attention to small details. He should have known that. His lack of knowledge brings a brief smile to my face as it will allow me to be Ever's hero. Yes.

"He told me to use it to call the Lady of the Women."

Her sweet low voice commands my attention, pulling me from my thoughts.

"I'm sorry. What was that?"

"He um, told me to use it to call the Lady of the Women."

That isn't a good idea.

"Adrienne's the Lady of Women and she is sleeping."

"Oh."

Obligated by her existence I unconsciously take slow steps toward her. She presses her back up against the solid door and stiffens. Darn it.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to frighten you. I'll step back. See, It's okay. I can help you, what do you need?"

She searches the hallway perhaps for someone less intimating.

"You don't have to be afraid we won't harm you. It's all right, let me help you."

"Um – I just wanted some more bed sheets."

"Okay, I'll get them. Go inside. I'll knock on the door when I come back, okay."

She nods and goes into the guest suite. The door closes behind her.

My inner premature mocking of Drew has indeed made me a fool. Bed sheets— I'm not sure where they are kept but I'm determined to find out. I rush around the corner, out of earshot, and lean against a wall while activating my armstation.

"Call Taylor."

"Hello."

"Taylor, where can I find bed sheets?"

"Huh, Liam what the heck? The sheets are on your bed. Have you had APP and why are you whispering? Haha."

"What? No, wake up and listen. I know you are not sleeping. I can hear it in your voice. I need sheets! Tell me where they are."

"Did you and Adrienne mess up the sheets last night you—"

I don't have time for this. I need the sheets.

"Call Ava."

"Morning Liam."

"Morning, Ava where do we keep the sheets?"