Chapter 36: I'm Okay

Start from the beginning

"Stop it! What the heck is wrong with you guys?"

"Nothing just paying that Chevalier tramp a well-due beating!"

"Shut up Taylor! She hasn't done anything to you! She hasn't done anything to anyone! All she's done is should all respect! Is this what she deserves?"

They all become quiet as Ava makes her way over to us, helping me shield Ever. Taylor stands up on her feet as Samantha lets go of Tessa. A look of guilt and shame settled on all their faces. It was then that I realized their behavior was only a reflection of my own. Darn it.

"Look, I owe everyone an apology. I am sorry I let this behavior continue and even laughed with you guys when you made fun of her, but it isn't fair to her. Liam wants her here we have to respect that."

I turn and face her and quickly notice blood running from her nose and the corner of her lips. Her eyes are swollen, and her hair is messy. Her cheek looks bruised. Her tear-stained cheeks fill with fresh new tears. A few buttons have been ripped from her now open shirt which displays a bruise on her chest.

Her proximity and enduring floral scent make me uncomfortable yet again and I quickly take a step back.

"I'm so sorry Ever; I've been unfair to you and allowed them to treat you horribly. I will not treat you unfairly anymore. Neither will they."

I use my shirt sleeve to tenderly wipe away the blood that steeps down her face.

"It's okay, I'm okay."

"I can see that you are not, come with me," I hold my hand out to her.

She places her soft dainty hand into mine causing that strange comforting tingling sensation to rise to my arm.

What is this?

I almost drop her hand but can't not in front of the women they will surely keep up their behavior if I do not lead by example and see this through.

I lead her into my bedroom while Ava follows us.

"Sit here on the bed."

My bed engulfs her frame. Her body looks healthy, but she is pretty small. She cannot be over 98 pounds.

"I'm not going to hurt you. I promise but I will remove your shirt, okay, to look at this bruise."

"HuHuh Ava and I simultaneously gasp.

She has more bruises than the bruise on her chest. Bruises are on her upper arms, chest, stomach, and back. Ava looks just as upset as I feel.

"Will you like for me to call Preston?"

"Yes, please tell him to seek away alone. Go into the restroom and wet a towel for me."

"Okay."

Ava quickly rushes into the restroom and I hear water coming from the faucet soon after.

"Preston is our healer. He can heal these bruises. Do you feel any inward pain?"

"I have a headache," Ever says while slowly lying down.

"No, no, no. Sit up until Preston gets here. I'll get you some head medication and you can rest in my room for a while."

She sits up and looks uncomfortable at my suggestion, but she also looks pleased that I offered.

"Why didn't you fight any of them back?"

"Um, I don't, I don't want to cause any trouble—"

She pauses, trying to steady her breathing while miserably failing at preventing fresh new tears from escaping her eyes.