Chapter 6 | Tolerable

(A/N: Again, the picture above never has anything to do with the story :] )

.
.
.
.
.

I gulp as I stare at my house. The lights were on, and the lamps outside were blaring. A drop of sweat slid down my face. It loomed over me, with its vibrant flowers and green grass taunting me. I scoffed in annoyance.

After Tommy and I ran from the guards, I had only realized how late we had been out. And god did I hate myself for not reminding myself that I had fucking curfew. By the time I realized it, it was already 1:04 and I had just left Tommy. That was when I also remembered what I promised my mom. I promised that I would tell her if I was going to be out late or at least let her know. I scold myself mentally. I couldn't even keep this promise. A wave of guilt washes over me, my mind drifting back to Drista. I shake my head. It shouldn't be the time. I have an angry mom to meet inside, and the problem of getting yelled at. Or... I could sneak back in?

I stood in front of my house a little longer, contemplating the decisions. A, I could go in and take it like the fucking man I am. B, I could beg for forgiveness and this time, put my phone on ringer. C, I could sneak in through my bedroom window. I weigh out the options, and take out my phone. I look at its blank screen for a moment, and cock an eyebrow.

Or... D, I could call her, and fix my problems that way so I wouldn't have to face her. I looked intently at my phone. Sighing, I raked my hand through my hair and opened my phone to call my mom. The amount of text messages and calls that she sent me can't express how worried she might've been.

I raised my phone to my ear, the call already answered, not much to my surprise. "(Y/N!)" my mom yelled through the line, making me flinch. I chuckle nervously, and look down at the green grass below me. "Oh my lord- where have you been! You told me you would tell me when you would stay out this late!" she states, worry blatant in her tone.

"I'm so sorry Mum, I forgot. Me and Julia were working hard on editing her videos that I forgot the time" I lied easily. I guiltily looked at my living room window. How had the lie been so easy to tell? It sled like butter off my tongue, as if I had been lying for years. In which I haven't.

"I'm so glad you're safe honey" mom sighs in relief. "Please, put a reminder or keep your phone unsilenced. I won't let you off the hook next time, you know? I'm being nice" she orders sternly. yet the worry still obvious. I smile softly. She can forgive so easily.

I hum in acknowledgement. "I will, I'm truly sorry Mum. I'm almost home, I'll be there in a few" I explain. She hums on the other line. "No worries, (Y/N). I'll see you soon" I smile lightly.

"Yeah, see you soon" I say fondly, with a small smile on my face. I lowered the phone from my ear and ended the call with a stern sigh. I furrowed my eyebrows and turned my phone off. Since I had time to stall, I stood in the cold dewy night air. I let the sound of the bustling night city consume me, and leaned against my houses fences. My eyes closed to let them rest due to tonight's events. The image of me and Tommy close to each other popped up in my head and my eyes immediately shot open. I shook my head, a light blush creeping it's way onto my face.

No (Y/N), you shouldn't be thinking about this. Nothing intimate, calm. I scolded myself mentally. I sigh, and look back at my house in hopes to distract me from the moment. I smile fondly, knowing that my mom was forgiving tonight. If I had been yelled at, maybe my self esteem would have been lowered.