Lord Merikh

He was sitting at the far end of the table, next to my mother and with a place set next to him. A place set for me.

Seeing me, he stands up, his slightly long black hair swaying around his pale face.

He's tall. Taller than the average Elysian man, and lean yet imposing and radiating arrogance and power. Not the kind of man you would pick a fight with, not unless you were very very drunk.

I dip into a graceful curtsy, just as I practiced how to do about a hundred times when I was younger. Head politely bowed, skirts lifted daintily off of the ground, legs bent like a ballerina.

Lord Merikh responds with a bow and walks towards me, taking my hand in his own. His fingers are long and elegant, like those of a pianist, although the only instrument I can imagine him playing is one of torture.

His lips barely graze my knuckles, sending an odd shiver down my spine. His eyes meet mine and I don't shy away from his piercing gaze.

His eyes are dark blue, like the icy depths of Abluvion, and so intense it takes all of my willpower not to look away.

"Miss Elide," he drawls. His voice is smooth and measured, each word washing into the next like waves caressing a beach. His breath smells like salt and expensive wine.

"Lord Merikh," I reply, my voice surprisingly calm, "It's a pleasure to see you again."

He doesn't smile.

"The pleasure is all mine, I assure you."

We both seat ourselves at our designated spots. My entire body is tense, whereas Lord Merikh looks utterly relaxed. How does he do it?

The doors open again and several servants enter, all carrying golden platters and trays piled with food. They set these expertly on the table and then leave.

"I must express my apologies that my husband is not able to join us," says my mother, helping herself to some soup and Aurelian bread.

Aurelian bread is full of rosemary and black pepper, a signature dish sold in practically every marketplace. It has been my favourite ever since I was a child.

"I'm sure he is very busy," replies Lord Merikh, his lips curling into the subtlest of smirks.

My father, Lord Cirrillo, didn't see Lord Merikh when he came for my sister's marriage either. He doesn't want to engage in the pointless formalities, and he gets worried that he might lose his temper, something he does often. My mother, who is always calm and composed, balances out his fire, making them the perfect pair to rule the small city of Aurelia.

I find myself smiling faintly, a ghost of a smile really, as I think who might have been matched with Eveleen. Poor Eveleen. I finger the opal pendant.

The conversation has moved on to Aurelia, how well the city does and how beautiful the traditions are, but I'm barely listening. Distant as I fill my plate with spiced pheasant and quail eggs.

"...yes I think she'll make a radiant bride," I catch Lord Merikh telling my mother. He can only mean me.

"You don't think her birthmark limits her prospects of beauty?" She asks curiously. The words cut deep, but I remain silent, fighting a scowl. What harsh words. But she is grieving, she is crazy; I can forgive her.

"Not at all," Lord Merikh replies, "If anything it makes her prettier. It makes her stand out from others."

I almost spit out the elderflower wine in my mouth at these words. What? No one has ever complimented the pale red marking over my left eye like that before.

"Why do you say that?" I blurt out, turning to face him. His dark eyes look somewhat amused.

"Because it's true," he says earnestly, as if the answer were obvious.

I almost blush, but thankfully I'm too surprised for my body to react, and I return to my food.

Taking compliments from the man responsible for my sister's death. How low. Surely I'm not so jealous of Eveleen to heed his words, to think that maybe he meant them. He sounded honest...

I busy myself with eating.

"You're too kind," my mother tells Lord Merikh, lying through her perfect teeth. Yet she says this to him with such charm and charisma that even I, who wears evidence of her hatred of this man around my neck, almost believe her.

"Thank you," Lord Merikh replies easily.

"So how is Abluvion faring?" my mother asks politely. As if she cares.

"It's thriving," he tells her, that almost smirk playing on his features again, "We are thinking of expanding our city, but we would need Selkie enchantments for that, and selkies are insufferable creatures..."

Selkies. I thought they were only myth, the ladies of the sea who possessed coats that transformed them into seals and whose blood was rich with magic. Insufferable huh? They probably just know better than to help someone like Lord Merikh.

"They're very indecisive about everything." he continues, "Always consulting every single little decision in their committee."

"Is that so?" asks my mother politely.

"Mmm," says Lord Merikh.

"What do they look like?" I ask curiously.

He turns to face me, tilting his head to the side as if trying to assess my question.

"All of them very pale," he begins, "And their eyes are different colours of the sea. Their eyes always stay the same colour, whether they're in seal or human forms."

"Their coats," I press, fully intrigued now, "What are they like?"

He smiles at me, smiles in a way that you would smile at a child asking you for a bedtime story.

"White or grey," he tells me, "And they sparkle in the sunlight." He sounds almost whimsical as he tells me about them, but suddenly the moment is lost and his face changes. "But really they're insufferable creatures," he finishes.

I nod rather absently and return to my plate.

"What would you do if you did expand Abluvion?" my mother asks, attempting to revive the conversation.

"Oh, just build some housing for our growing population," he says casually, taking a sip of elderflower wine.

"That's considerate of you," comments Lady Ilaria.

"It's merely necessary," he tells her, "It would be foolish to wait until things get out of hand."

"I suppose it would," replies my mother.

The room lapses into an awkward silence. The servants come in and clear the table, taking the half-finished food away and back to the kitchens.

"I think," says my mother after they've left again, "That you and Elide will make a lovely match"

What is she talking about? I hope she isn't having delusions of some sort.

I turn to Lord Merikh to see his reaction. He's smirking openly, amusement dancing in his dark blue eyes.

"I think so too," he says, staring right at me.