Consequences of an everlasting vow

I walk back to my private quarters, head reeling with what I have just done.

My word was not enough for my mother, and so she made me perform an everlasting vow. Something I will be bound too for the entirety of my days, which are ,according to her, numbered.

To cast an everlasting vow you must mix the blood of the two people the vow is being made between with powdered moon-rock. This concoction is separated and each person keeps half of it to have on their person at all times. My cut of the mixture, which is called vow dust, is currently in a dainty opal pendant hanging around my neck.

My arm still stings where my mother's hereditary golden Aurelian dagger pierced my skin. Pierced it more deeply than was necessary. But my mother, in her grief-induced lunacy, did not have time to be considerate as she made me perform the everlasting vow.

I finger the opal pendant subconsciously.

What am I going to do now?

Well, obviously I'm going to have to honor my word and search for the Abluvion stone, endangering my life. But my life is destined to come to an inevitable end anyway in three months time, so why not try to save it? Why not go out fighting for survival rather than play the submissive wife, praying for a kiss from the man responsible for my sister's death?

So I will try to fulfill the prophecy. For my own sake, and like my mother said, to avenge poor Eveleen. And perhaps I will succeed.

No. I shouldn't dare to hope. I shouldn't give in to such delusions. I'm not going to survive this. Marrying Crius Merrikh is a death sentence, and how would I ever find the Abluvion stone? In just three months as well.

But I will try. I have too now that I'm wearing vow dust around my neck.

I reach the door to my room and step inside before collapsing onto my bed. And then I notice Safira, the olive-skinned, dark haired, green-eyed servant girl. And she'd holding a wedding dress. With a shock I realize it's for me.

I stand up and we both curtsey awkwardly.

"I'm sorry Safira!" I exclaim, discretely hiding the arm my mother cut behind my back, "I didn't see you there!"

"It's fine Miss Elide," she smiles, "Your seamstress has finished with your wedding dress. Would you like to try it on?"

No, absolutely not.

"I'd love too!" I lie.

She beams, as if weddings were her favorite things in the world, and perhaps they are, Safira is an unashamed amorist, and wondrously chaste.

She helps me out of my mourning gown and into a pearly white corset, the ribs of wood digging into my skin. Safira fastens the back with long silk ribbons and then dresses me in the skirts.

It's an off-the-shoulders gown with a low neckline and layers and layers of lace and tulle. The hem is embroidered with flowers in gold and white thread and the skirts are dotted with pearls.

That's strange. Pearls are not part of Aurelian tradition, or Elysian tradition for that matter.

It's part of Abluvion tradition.

The one piece of jewellery that can be found at the bottom of the sea.

I bite back a scowl as Safira, still smiling sweetly, begins to pin up my hair, using pearl studded pins in excess. In too much excess in my opinion, but of course, as is the case so very often, my opinion is insignificant.

That's why I didn't get to choose my wedding dress. Why I didn't get to choose if I performed the everlasting vow. Why I don't have a say in whether or not I marry Lord Merikh.

Well, nobody else did. Not Charis or Lilura or Eveleen. None of the three beautiful youthful girls before me had a choice, so why should I?

But why? Why did Lord Merikh do it? What was the point? Perhaps if he wanted an heir...

And why me? If he couldn't love Eveleen he couldn't love anyone. Especially not me.

Little Elide, with her strange birthmark over her left eye, with a reputation of climbing trees and possessing little etiquette despite her years of lessons. What was attractive about me? Wouldn't he prefer a prettier more submissive girl?

No. He was only going to be married to me for three months. Three months in which I would actively seek the Abluvion stone. And if I didn't find it before my time was up, then I would leave behind documented research for the next girl after me.

Safira finishes my hair as I come to this somber conclusion.

I look up at the large gold gilded mirror at my reflection.

I look ravishing.

The pearls in my dark hair look like stars against a silky night sky. My dress is overflowing with tulle and satin and lace and trails elegantly along the floor.

Safira adds the finishing touch, a translucent veil attached to a Pearl encrusted golden barrette, a famed Aurelien tradition for the bride to wear.

When I reach the end of the aisle Lord Merikh will throw it over my head like he did for my sister.

"You look beautiful Miss Elide!" Exclaims Safira excitedly. Sometimes I think she has Kalopsia she's so ebullient. She has much to learn.

I manage a smile before politely dismissing her and changing swiftly back into my mourning clothes.

Undoing my hair, I let it fall loosely around my shoulders before grabbing an elegant fleece and making my way outside.

I need to clear my head a little, and I also want to speak with Caelum, one of the stable boys and the closest thing I have to a best friend.

I need to speak to him one more time before I leave.