Right vs. Wrong

It was all about respect. Doing the right thing versus the wrong. That's what he thought to himself as he walked into the fast food restaurant. As he began to order someone must have walked in behind him because he heard the door open. He paid the cashier and that's when he felt a chill run down his spine.

She had just gotten out of school and wanted lunch. As she approached the counter, she saw a familiar figure standing in front of her as she waited in line. Her whole world froze. Was it really him? There was only one way to find out and when she spoke it came out quieter than expected.

"Hunter" she said barely in a whisper. He didn't turn to look at her until she spoke again. "Hunter" she said in a louder octave this time. He turned around, now facing her trying not to make eye contact. Crap, he thought. This was not respecting what his brother wanted but then again, he didn't know they would run into each other like this. Maybe it was fate or maybe he was trying to convince himself that this wasn't wrong.

"W-What.. what are you doing here?" She couldn't find the words to say, she was still in shock. There was that question again. He still didn't know the right away to answer it correctly.

"I moved back."

"What? Why?" He wished everyone would stop asking him questions he couldn't answer.

"I just wanted to" he answered again. As much as he knew she deserved an explanation, he didn't have a reasonable one to give. Or not one she could probably forgive anyways. Their eyes met and he knew he couldn't stay. It was to hard for him. "I'm sorry. I have to go." Okay, that was a lie. He had no place to go, but he grabbed his food and began to walk away only to be stopped dead in his tracks when Juliet cried out.

"Wait.."

No, don't stop. There was nothing else to be said. She was happy and he didn't want to ruin that for her but she was also impossible to ignore so he looked at her once more.

"Does Cody know?"

Busted. Lie, lie, lie! A voice in his head kept telling him. You don't need more beef with your brother.

"Please Hunter. I need to know the truth. You at least owe me that."

He nodded and hurt spread across her face.

"Oh.." She said again in a whisper tone. What have I done?

"Goodbye Juliet." He quickly said and then left before he could make a bigger mess than the one he just made.

Sitting in her car, Cody was listening to the radio. He was in the drivers seat and was waiting on Juliet to come back with their food. Suddenly he heard the door open and looked up.

"Hey, what took you so long?"

She got in the passenger seat and slammed the door. She was pissed and he could obviously tell.

"What's wrong?"

"Why didn't you tell me Hunter was back in town?"

"What?" He asked confused.

"Don't lie to me Cody. I know you saw him."

"What did he say to you?"

"He moved back and had to go."

"Did he tell you why?"

"Yeah, he said he wanted to. What else are you hiding from me?"

"Nothing, I swear."

"Really? Because he was in a hurry to leave. Did you say something to him?" He didn't answer and that worried her. "Did you tell him to stay away from me?"

"He should of listened."

"No. You should of told me the truth!"

"I didn't want you to get hurt."

"I'm fine." She said annoyed. So Hunter was back? That didn't mean that she would leave Cody. She isn't fragile and vulnerable as he makes her out to be. Obviously she was going to be sad when his brother left but she moved on and got over him. Besides, it's not like they were official anyways.