Stay Away From Her

The next day was rainy and a bit cooler. Juliet and Cody planned to go out for breakfast when they both woke up which was was around 10AM. Neither one of them are morning people. They met at Denny's and both ordered a stack of pancakes and a chocolate milkshake to share. He made her happy and that's all that counted right now. They are both young and have their whole lives ahead of themselves. They both agreed they wanted to have fun so they were taking things slow. Cody will be graduating this year while Juliet will still have another year to go before she is out of the halls of high school. She however, does have a plan for college even if she doesn't have a major decided yet. She does have a few in mind on what she wants to do with the rest of her life though. The only thing is she wishes she could give Cody the chance he deserves. He made pretty good grades but never had much luck with scholarships. Hunter on the other hand, doesn't have time for school. He dropped out after his sophomore year when he was 16. He picks up jobs here and there but hasn't been sticking around anywhere long enough to keep a good thing going.

Later in the afternoon, Hunter found himself just waking up and with a bit of a headache from his hangover. He got back on the road and decided to just give it a whirl and see the one person who probably hoped to never see his face again.

He walked up the couple of steps of the porch and stood at the door with a nervous feeling in his stomach. He never prepared himself for this moment. Heck, he only decided to come back to town a day ago. Nothing was thought through, which most of his plans never were but that wasn't the point. Hunter took a deep breath and once he knocked on the door he wanted to run. The door swung open and a little girl was standing there with a slightly older boy behind her. They couldn't of been more than 5 and 8. Hunter looked down at the little kids. "Hi there, um I'm looking for Cody. Do you know if he's home?" The little girl stood there shy, with her thumb in her mouth. The boy's eyes blinked a few times before he spoke. "He's upstairs."

"Thanks." The kids took off before Hunter could say another word but the door was left open and he entered. He had no idea what he was doing. It looked all to fimilar to him and he had to stop himself from bolting again. Finally after convincing himself to stay he found his way up the stairs and walked down the hall to his old room that he shared with three other boys, one of them being his twin. The door was wooden and Hunter took a few moments to gather his thoughts before he made his hand into a fist and knocked. A minute later the door opened and there he was standing infront of him. Hunter didn't even have a second to move a muscle before Cody spoke. "What are you doing here?" He said in a harsh tone.

"I moved back."

"Why?" Now he just seemed annoyed. Hunter shrugged "I just wanted to." But that wasn't the real reason at all. He actually had no clue why he moved back. It's not like he left a lot of good to come back to. Cody interrupted his thoughts. "Did you go see her yet?" "No, you were the first one I came to see." He suddenly said. "Good, stay away from her."

"Why?" Hunter was confused. He knew that Cody cared for Juliet and was protective of her, they both were. She was the first person to make him feel like everything would be okay, at least for a little while but that wasn't enough for him, I guess. He did leave her after all and not with a sweet goodbye either. "Because she's finally happy and I don't need you screwing that up." There was that harsh tone again. Maybe this was the worst idea he had after all.

Back in his truck, he sat staring out the window. He knew seeing Juliet would make everything feel better again but Cody was right. To much time has passed and after everything that happened, he wouldn't want to see himself either. Juliet deserved to be happy but what if he wanted to be happy too? Is that to much to ask?