The List

"I hear your parents have left town," Margaret said casually. I glanced up from my seat at the piano where I was picking out a tune, but she appeared to be otherwise absorbed in her novel. The comment would have been innocent enough coming from anyone else, but Margaret wasn't just anyone.

I returned my attention to the black and white keys under my fingertips. "Where did you hear that?"

Margaret's answering snort was condescending. "Please."

Risking another glance in her direction, I wondered if I could get away with compelling her to mind her own business. "They decided to go away for Christmas," I said, chickening out at the last moment.

"Interesting." Margaret slammed the book shut and stood, beginning to move slowly about the room.

"Why is that interesting?"

Her shoulders rose and fell. "It is interesting that you did not go with them," she replied, returning the book in her hand to the shelf. She ran her index finger along the spines of the novels, stopping now and then to give one more consideration.

"So?"

"It's just that your parents' affection for you is disturbingly claustrophobic," she replied. "I am simply surprised you have chosen not to celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior with your loved ones."

I laughed. "You're religious?"

"God no," she replied with vehemence. "Organized religion is for mindless fools."

"Many would disagree."

"No matter." She turned to me then, her blue eyes like cut glass. "Does my disdain surprise you?"

"Not in the slightest." I would have been even less surprised still had Margaret admitted she was in league with the devil, but I held my tongue. "Anyway," I said, steering away from the topic of religious convictions. "My parents wanted me to go, but I compelled them to leave me behind."

"Whatever for?" Margaret said, turning to face me, momentarily letting down her guard as curiosity won out.

"I've got a lot of work to do here." That much, at least, was true. I held my breath, hoping Margaret would drop the conversation before I admitted something I would soon regret. Or worse, gave her any reason to compel the truth out of me.

"Speaking of work," she announced. "My father has a list of individuals he wishes you to compel."

I breathed a sigh of relief that she had moved on from the subject of my parents without further inquisition, but still my stomach churned. The news that Conrad Abernathy wanted me to compel others wasn't totally unexpected. Margaret had been overseeing my training precisely for this reason. Still, that didn't mean I wanted to go through with it. Unfortunately, I wasn't in a position to voice any opinion that would contradict the outrageous plans her father had for our town. All I could do was hope that the Queen would arrive soon and be lucid enough to set him straight before he could destroy my home and the people who lived here.

"Your father wants me to compel others?" I asked stupidly. "Why?"

Margaret huffed in obvious irritation. "What is the matter with you? You seem extremely preoccupied today."

There were many things I wanted to say to Margaret at that moment, but voicing any of the thoughts in my head would put everyone I knew at risk. "Sorry," I said instead. "I was thinking about this huge test I took before winter break. I'm pretty sure I failed, but I won't find out until we get back.

"What good is being a Compeller if you don't put your talent to use?"

"I don't like compelling people if I don't have to," I replied.