Chapter 4: What Is She?

The Cullens were preparing for Hope's arrival. Trying to at least. They didn't get very far into their tasks before they sensed someone or something coming towards their territory, so close the the treaty line.

In an instant they were all outside. They had given the wolves permission to pass on their land if there was a threat to the town or an unknown being close by, the wolves did the same for them. Jacob was at the house with them, so he shifted into his wolf form and howled to warn the packs.

The being that was on their land was traveling fast. Faster than any of them have ever seen. The Cullens and the wolves ran through the woods, tracking and chasing the being. They stopped in a patch of trees and looked around. A flash of white and grey blurred past them. Jasper ran after the being, as did the rest of the Cullens and wolves. Jasper was so close to grabbing the creature but it ran in a circle and disappeared for a moment. Jasper stopped and looked around him.

Suddenly, he heard a growl. More like a snarl. Out of a patch of bushes came a silver, white, and grey wolf. It had blazing golden eyes and beautiful fur with shades of grey, silver, and white. He stared at the wolf for a second before it started to growl and snap it canines together in a primal and predatorial  manner. It snarled on last time before charging at him. This wolf was much faster than the wolves from the reservation but also much smaller. Jasper ran as fast as he possibly could. He looked back at the wolf for a fraction of a second and saw the wolf still charging at him.

Suddenly he was pushed to the ground and his jacket, that he didn't need, was grabbed from his body. He shot up at an inhuman speed and turned around. "Are you crazy? I almost killed you!" A girl said, wrapped in his jacket. But it wasn't just any girl, it was Hope.

Jasper was so confused. What had just happened?

The Cullens and wolves stood by and watched what happened in complete and utter shock. What had they just witnessed?

So many questions ran through their heads as they watched the staring contest between the girl and Jasper.

Neither one said a word. They just gazed into each other's eyes in wonder.

Hope was wondering how the boy across from her was able to run so fast and why a group of people and giant wolves were chasing her.

Jasper was wondering how it was possible for Hope to be a wolf and so much smaller and faster than the wolves from the reservation.

Hope searched Jasper's eyes, looking for any secrets she could decipher in his strange gold-amber eyes.

She had never seen anybody with eyes like his. She kept her guard up as she looked around her.

"Werewolves? No...they're too big to be werewolves. Shifters, maybe? And...cold ones? Working together? That's a new one." Hope mumbled to herself.

The expression on her face was hard to read, as were her thoughts and emotions.

The Cullens and wolves stared at the girl in wonder. What is she? And how is she so fast?