Chapter 10

Chapter 10

I have not loved my younger sister always. She has some flaws that made her annoying and I had some flaws that made her look annoying. However, never have I felt pity on her before. I have never seen Preeti as pathetic until few minutes ago when she walked inside my room while I was packing my bags to return home with my husband and kids and demand that I get a divorce.

"Why would I do that?" I demanded

"You both are not happy in the relationship. I don't see a point. It is better you guys spilt before Misha or Nidhi start noticing."

"Are you out of your mind?"

Preeti looked as if I am the daft one between us for not seeing her point.

"Look, I know it was a love marriage. When I first saw you both together, I thought you guys were perfect. But, now, you both look like it pains for you guys to be in each other's company. I don't even think you deserve him anymore. Tell me frankly, isn't the love lost?"

Surprisingly, I wasn't angry. I have not heard a more ridiculous thing than the fact that the love between me and my husband is lost. If anything, love is the only thread that keeps us intact in spite of the pressure that society and our own demons keeps pushing on us. Shivay and I don't love each other the textbook way. We love each other in our own way. Not very conventional, I am sure. On any given day, I hate him as good as I love him and he barely tolerates speaking to me. But, there isn't anyone in the world I would share this love hate relationship than him.

"We love each other."

"Really!" Preeti challenged. So sure that I am lying. "I don't think...."

"And why does it matter what you think?"

We both turned to the source of the voice and saw Shivay leaning on the door frame. His forehead had lines and lips thinned. Oh! He surely isn't in good mood.

Shivay took slow steps towards us. "I am not going to justify to you if we love each other or not. I am just curious why it is your business?"

I touched Shivay's arms once he was standing beside me. Between the two of us, he is the one who measures words and never hurts anyone yet today, seeing my sister is on the receiving end, I want him to be more careful with words.

Preeti didn't have words. She opened her mouth couple of times, but no sound came out of it. Her eyes watered suddenly and she ran out of our room swiftly before we could stop her. I know I should run behind her. That is the normal thing to do, I know. But, what I didn't know was what to talk when I reach her. I turned to my husband for help.

I was surprised that Shivay wasn't as alarmed as me.

"She is just a kid with an enormous crush."

"Oh" Realization dawned. "That's bad."

And also super crazy.

"I know. I thought it was just silly, but I guess it's time we had a rational talk with her."

Shivay began to move towards the suitcase.

"But, that ...then....she..."

"What?" Shivay turned towards me.

"Is that why she thinks I don't deserve you?"

"Maybe she..."

"Or is it true?"

"Annika, what's wrong?" Shivay walked towards me.

"You love me, right?"

"Of course, I love you. Do you doubt it?"