Chapter 1

Ch. 1

I should be dead right now...but I got a second chance. I have Nathan to thank for that.

My name is Melanie and on November 27th, 2005 I was killed...but let's start from the beginning. I was fifteen and walking down the street at midnight which probably wasn't a very good idea since i was hit by a car. Now, we're going to fastfoward to about two weeks later...and here we go:

I walked up to the golden gates and saw St. Peter, who smiled and unlocked it. I slowly walked in. "God? Are you listening?"

"I'm always listening, Melanie," he answered gently.

"Why am I dead? I'm 15! I want...i want a secind chance! I wanted my purpose in life to be fulfilled!"

"Melanie," he tried to calm me. He picked me up and put me on his lap. It was very quiet. No one was around. "Melanie, I put that driver on the street last night because in about three months, someone will...well your housee is going to go up into flames because of a young man who was possesed, and you don't need that."

"Give me one more day to live as it was my last! I want, i want to see things I've never thing before! Father, please!"

"Melanie," he looked at me carefully, as if he was studying my face "is that what you really want?" I nodded. "24 hours, and then Jesus will come to get you at midnight at St. Cecelie's Church. Understood?"

I smiled and nodded before running out of the sky and falling into the sky, down to the earth, and landing in New York City.

I landed right in the center of Time Square. "23 hours and 59 minutes," I laughed. And that was better than nothing. I knew where i was going first, my old dance studio. I ran towards it. The lights were on but the sign said it was closed. I pounded on the door until i saw Ms. Bridget's ballet bun. I pressed my plae freckled face and emerald eyes up to the window. The moment she saw my red ringlets she unlocked the door.

"Melanie?" she gasped in disbelief.

"I don't have time to explain, but just know that I"ll always love you and God is in our hearts," and then i ran out. I couldn't look at her face.

"Melanie, wait!" she called after me. I turned around and a tear rolled down my cheek. "Stay...just for a minute?" I walked back in. She took me into the private lessons room and handed me a hot cocoa. "Keep ya warm," she smiled.

"It's a long story," I whispered.

"Tell me. You know when people say long story it's normally not that long. They just don;t know how to start."

I told her what God had given me. A last day to live. She nodded. She understood. She was the best and i lolved her so much. I heard a door open and her son walked in. He had the same blond hair and blue eyes. "Hey, I'm Nathan," he smiled.

"I'm Melanie," I smiled back. I looked at Bridget and put a finger to my lips and she just smiled as if to say she already knew.

"If you ladies are done, why don;t i show you around New York City?" Nathan said.

"You kids go. Have the time of your life," Bridget smiled before Nathan and I disappeared.