Hanahaki - Alt.1 wallpaper

The elevator door opened. 

"Rae, rae," Toast shouted across the corridor, "Operating room, end of the corridor on your right, BE QUICK!"

She had never run so fast in her entire life. The stretcher was just in her sight. The medical team was speedily moving closer and closer to the operation room. 

"Sykkuno?"

"SYKKUNO!"

"THOMAS!"

The world around her went silent.

10 meters. 

That's the distance between him and her.

That's the only distance which separated them apart.

*

"The operation went well, you should be thankful that the traffic jam occurred right after we arrived, otherwise your friend would be dead right now."

They thanked the doctor. Now almost all his friends were gathered around there.

"But we could only allow one visitor at a time into the room, the patient is still recovering."

All other streamers, and even Toast, stepped back at the same and signalled Rae to get in. She didn't argue.

The windows of the ward were facing towards the dusk. The dim, purple rays of the sun faded into a dark shadow underneath Sykkuno's jawbones. The floor was so well-polished as if there had been another inverted room underneath. The soft green colour of the wallpaper was barely recognisable after the sun had dyed it into a mosaic of lilac and pitch-black. 

Sykkuno opened his eyes after he heard the door opening.

Silence.

They simply looked into each other's eyes, filled with untold emotions. 

It was rare for Sykkuno for the first one to start a conversation, but the silence just lasted too long that it reached an awkward state. Plus he somehow felt guilty.

"Phew...That was a close one wasn't it...?"

"Thomas?"

He froze for a few seconds. Then he wanted to comment, but instead he swallowed the words back.

"Yeah?"

"You're an idiot."

It had been a few seconds and his jaw had dropped twice. Was she serious?

"You're an idiot." She repeated as if she saw through his mind.

"Rae, listen. You can blame me for everything else, but this is the only time I'm absolutely confident that I'm not being an idiot. It's for the best of both me and her...I mean, the other person."

Rae stayed still as tears rolled down her eyes.

She loved him.

Now it's all over.

*For people who have already read the first chapter of the Hanahaki series I forgot to add that after the operation the feelings towards the beloved one would disappear. My mistake, the first chapter is now fixed.