Chapter 3 - The Start

Third Person
The yard outside had training equipment stacked neatly next to a medium sized battle arena. At dawn the girls were woken up and brought to the yard. They were lined up like the day before but instead sat in their spot.

"Today you will demonstrate your skills by fighting one of your pears, it will be chosen at random. Once everyone has fought you will be divided into training groups according to your skill. Each training group will have five members. This is not a fight to the death, it's only to demonstrate your skills. The way a match ends is if someone surrenders, can no longer participate, or is to be called a draw. Good luck and show us your best," Viribus said to the girls with her should square, head held high, and hands behind her back.

-

Katara
We would be fighting each other for them to assess our skills. It doesn't seem too bad, especially since it's not to the death. Everyone say with their backs straight awaiting for their name to be called. Some had now expression or emotion on their faces, some looked nervous, and a couple looked like they were about to lose their breakfast. I wasn't worried whether I won or lost, I was confident in my skill and just had to show what I was capable of. But by no means would I use blood bending.

Girls were being called up to the arena after each battle. I was paying close attention to each of their fighting styles and tactics. The next people called up were Azula and another girl who looked to be earth kingdom origins. Pray for her.

Azula initiated the first attack by shooting blue fire at the girl. She dodged and took out a couple knights and shot them at Azula. Azula then dodged and sent a flurry of fire balls at the girl. She barely got out of the way in time and it looked like her shoulder was burned.

Azula wasn't playing around and shot fire at the girls face making her jump away. While the girl was in the air Azula shot fire square at her chest and she went toppling across the arena. Azula stepped closer fire in hand ready to attack looking at the girl. The girl held up her hand, she had scorch marks on her clothes and scratches on her face.

"I surrender, I surrender," she said. Not in a pleading voice, more that she was impressed and knew her own limits.

"Nicely done, take back your seats, if you require to go to the infirmary do so," Viribus said. Directing the last thing to the earth kingdom girl.

They both bowed to each other then to Viribus and took their seats. A couple more battles went after, it was impressive and nice to watch the different fighting styles. Then my name was called.

-

Azula
I sat down after by battle with the earth kingdom girl. I could tell she wasn't on my skill level but she put up a good fight. A couple battles took place afterwards, I didn't pay close attention to them though. The next people up were Katara and a fire nation girl. I had to admit Katara was a force to be reckoned with, a worthy opponent, for a peasant. This match I thought I would watch.

They both stood in their fighting stances circling each other, neither initiating the first attack. Until the other girl shot an orange fire bal at Katara who easily blocked it with an ice shield. She was getting more water ready from the barrels that sat at the edges of the arena. She through ice daggers at the fire nation girl who melted them and shot more fire balls at Katara. The girl was about to run at Katara but she slipped on ice that Katara coated the bottom of the arena with.

While the girl was still unsteady and trying to melt the ice around her Katara shot a strong jet of water knocking the girl over. Then she made an ice dagger in her hand, got close to the girl, held her head still, and held the ice dagger to the girls neck. When the girl didn't suggest she would give up Katara pushed the dagger on her neck slightly harder. This punctured the top layer of skin drawing a drop of blood from the girls neck.

"I surrender," the girl said in defeat but also utter shot she was bested.
" Good job, go back and sit down, the infirmary doors are still open," Viribus said to the girls.

They bowed to each other and then Viribus and went back to their respected seats. I would never admit this to anyone but Katara might not be so bad of a roommate after all and she was closer to my skill level then most of the others.

-

Third Person
Once all the girls had battles they were separated into their groups based on their skill level. There were 7 groups of five, some were mixed between the nation and others not so much. In Azula's and Katara's group there were 2 earth kingdom girls and one other fire nation. The rest of the day was spent training within the separate teams and getting a chance to work with each other.

Azula didn't get along with anyone because she believed they were either below her or they disrespected her in some way. But she just tolerated Katara, some new found respect for the water bender. Katara made an effort to get along with them but it didn't go to well. They didn't believe she was worthy or belonged in the league. She didn't let them get to her, plus she didn't have another option other than the league, Viribus made that quite clear. But she found that Azula wasn't the worst company and they wouldn't bicker unlike the other girls.

Three Weeks Later

Katara and Azula still weren't getting along with their team members but stuck together. Due to their truce they had each others back and didn't fight. Each of the girls learned the rules, how to act, what their limits were, and how to not get into trouble.

While they still focus on combat the girls are also taught different languages for example, the different ancient languages from each of the nations, the ancient language used by the white lotus, and a language made exclusively by the league (latin). They are also taught different skills such as stealth, history, and things that would be important for completing a mission.

When looked at from the outside it looks like an mandatory academy for girls to be brought up to be assassins. Katara and Azula were top of their class/group in every language they took as well as their combat training. The following days would be including different tasks that their group has to complete as a team.

Another chapter, I'm kind of just going with the flow of the story. I have an idea where I'm taking it just the little things in between I'm having fun with. Hope you guys are having a wonderful week.
- ally