TWENTY-ONE. the words i most regret

Start from the beginning

"Well, I just realized this morning this is the first time I've been cast as the lead on purpose," Nini voiced.

"But it won't be the last," Miss Jenn assured her before glancing to Ricky. "Tell them the muffin story."

Bless shared a confused frown with Nini, wondering what Miss Jenn was on about.

"Do I have to?" Ricky inquired.

"Listen, I'm gonna run. I'll see you in a couple of hours for pre-game. Just take a second, the three of you, and soak in the stillness."

With the wise words said, Miss Jenn left the gym, leaving Bless, Nini, and Ricky standing in awkward silence. However, that silence didn't last long as another sound caught the trio's attention. A sandbag dropping on the floor, releasing an echo caused Bless to jump slightly.

"Sorry!" A voice quickly came.

"I think that was me," another voice that sounded a lot like Natalie Bagley's responded.

"Okay, how many people are in here?" Ricky questioned aloud.

"I don't know about you two, but I'm gonna try to find a quiet and empty place," Bless informed the two as she began making her way to the door.

"To run your lines?" Nini asked.

"No, to get some shut-eye. You woke me up way too early."

The bomb shelter was usually bustling with energy from the thespians in it. However, tonight was different. As of right now, East High's thespians were getting the final touches on their makeup, checking their costumes, running through their lines, or going over their choreography, because their show was about to start in thirty minutes. And currently, Bless was doing the last one with Chase. The boy had been stressing over perfecting the choreo for Stick to the Status Quo, so she decided to help him out of pure annoyance.

While Bless was in her Ryan costume for her first scene which was a white long-sleeved shirt, a brown miniskirt with brown sneakers, and a white baseball hat, Chase wore a green shirt and black jeans, dressed as a regular East High student.

"Can we go over the ending?" Chase asked as the two finished going through the choreo.

"Again?" Bless questioned, holding an incredulous look on her face as they had done the choreo twice, while Chase sheepishly smiled. Before Bless could express her annoyance, Carlos caught everyone's attention as he walked into the room with a huge bouquet.

"We've got mystery flowers, people!" Carlos announced.

"Wow, those are massive," EJ noted.

"Why mystery?" Big Red asked.

"There's no card, so I'm guessing it's dealer's choice," Carlos explained. "But if I had to bet, I'd say it's for our leading lady."

Carlos pointed to Nini, who put a hand on her heart and smiled. She looked toward Ricky, assuming he got her the flowers.

"Not from me," Ricky denied, shaking his head. "Sorry."

"So, the last part?" Chase brought Bless's attention back to him.

"Chase, you know the choreo and I'm afraid that if I do it one more time, I'm gonna forget onstage," Bless replied, growing irritated. "Why are you stressing over this?"