TWELVE. born to be brave

Start from the beginning

"You missed a spot," Chase spoke as he sat down, earning EJ's attention who looked from the dance floor and to him. Chase outstretched his hand filled with serviettes.

EJ sighed and reluctantly took them. "If you're here to talk about what happened-"

"I didn't think a simple act of kindness could be seen as something selfish," Chase sarcastically remarked and EJ chuckled lightly. "As intrigued as I am to know what went down between you and Gina, you look like you've had a rough night so I won't ask."

"Thanks. Uhm, can I ask you something though?" EJ inquired and Chase nodded for him to continue. "If you wanted something you worked hard for and thought you were going to get, but someone else who didn't put in the amount of work you did got it, would you keep doing anything, good or bad, to still get that thing?"

"Wow, I did not expect a mouthful question like that from you," Chase responded while EJ chuckled, nodding his head in agreement. Chase had a feeling he knew what EJ was referring to, but he didn't say what he was thinking. Instead, he thought about the boy's question before answering. "Uhm, honestly, as pissed off as I'd be, I would try to accept it and work with what I have. As cheesy as this sounds, things happen for a reason. Just gotta have patience."

"Yeah, I guess you have a point," EJ admitted. After a short pause, he spoke up again in a gentle tone Chase had never heard from him. "Why are you being nice to me?"

Chase took a second to think about it, but he had no answer, so he shrugged. "I don't know." He honestly didn't know why he was being this nice to EJ when the boy didn't even know his name a few months ago. "Do you want me to stop?"

"No. I-I mean, I don't mind."

"Cool," Chase replied, nodding his head a bit with a small smile. He didn't know what it was about EJ and why he was drawn to him, but he liked it.

EJ reciprocated a smile. "Cool." The boys weren't alone for long, as they were shortly joined by Ashlyn, and Big Red. Chase assumed Ricky went home. He wondered if Seb had arrived because Carlos wasn't sitting at the table. However, he spotted the boy standing alone in the middle of the dance floor, bopping his head to the new song that came on, Born to Be Brave. Carlos began dancing alone between the couples surrounding him, looking like he was having the time of his life despite his date not showing up. It was kind of inspiring to Chase and he kind of wanted to join in too. "You know," EJ spoke up to everyone around him, "I actually kinda feel bad for the guy."

Chase glanced Ashlyn's way and it looked like they were both thinking the same thoughts. If Bless was here, she would probably be dragging him to the dance floor. But now, it was time to shut up and dance. Simultaneously, Chase and Ashlyn got up from their seats and ran up to Carlos. They began dancing with him and Carlos grinned at their actions before the three of them eventually started singing along to the song.

"To my castle in the sky. Let my hair down and let it go. No more running, I run this show," Chase, Ashlyn, and Carlos sang at the top of their lungs as they danced to the music. "Way up here, yeah, the view is gold. Born to be brave. Now I'm standing miles high, like castles in the sky."

Soon enough, everyone else around them joined in dancing with Chase, Carlos, and Ashlyn, as they all belted the song together, "Bosses and queens, stand up on your throne. Know who you are, this is your kingdom. Legends at heart, individuals. Go make your mark, be original."