43 A Trip to the Store

Start from the beginning

"See, when I woke up this morning, I noticed a bit of frost on Torterra's back. That means winter's coming soon, and that's when these delicious little treats start popping up in food stalls everywhere. You should stop staring at them and try them. You like everything inside."

After sitting beside me, Paul examined the breads more closely. "You said there's an egg on the inside?"

"Correct. I put the eggs and cheese between the bread batter." I poured both of us a cup of tea, and then I slowly sipped from mine. "Some people will make it differently, but that's the way I first tried it."

Nodding, he nibbled on one of the breads. Then, his eyes bulged. "Wow. That is good. It tastes somewhat similar to corn muffin, but with egg and cheese, and with a slightly sweet and salty taste all at once."

His accurate description impressed me. "Who knew you were such a connoisseur? If only you were as good at cooking food as you are critiquing it."

He shook his head. "Nah. If I were any better, then you'd cook less often. I can't have that."

"What do you mean you can't—?!"

"Thank you for the meal!" He proceeded to stuff his face.

"Hmph. Want me to be the permanent chef? Fine. But that makes you the permanent dishwasher. So, I'll leave you to clean up while I go change. Let's head into town sooner rather than later."

"Wait. You already ate?"

"Yep. While you were sleeping. The egg bread tastes much better when it's hot."

"You could've woken me up. I probably shouldn't have slept in this late in the first place."

"It's alright. I didn't want to disturb your esteemed repose."

"But, you..."

"Look, Paul. If you wanted to eat with me that badly, I'll wake you up next time. Or you can just get up earlier. But it's not a big deal. Really. Just eat your breakfast before it gets even colder, or before Luxio snatches it from you."

Paul eyed the cat inching closer and closer. Eevee was also closing in.

"Now, I'm gonna change out of these pajamas, so leave me alone for a few minutes."

Paul nearly choked when he discovered an orange tent set up beside Torterra. "Since when did we have a tent?!"

"Since always! Just never needed it till now," I replied while crawling inside. "I set it up this morning while everything was cooking. And it's not for us. It's for me. You're not allowed inside."

"What? Why not?"

"No boys allowed!" After I closed the zipper, Luxio dragged his bowl near the front of the tent and sat on the grass, barking back at me. "Right! Except for Luxio, though he prefers guard duty. And I guess Wartortle, and Cubone, and any of my other Pokémon can come inside. And, I suppose, your Pokémon, too, as long as Luxio says it's okay."

"So, is the rule 'no boys allowed' or 'no Paul allowed'?"

"No creeps allowed!"

"Creeps?!"

"Yeah. Ever since I found out a certain someone is a big, fat pervert, I'm no longer comfortable simply walking behind some trees and changing my clothes."

"For the last time, I'm not a pervert, Girlie!"

"Yeah, yeah, that's what they all say, but I still don't trust you."

"I'm serious. It was an accident seeing you..." He went quiet after seeing Luxio scowl at him—and he was scowling. Paul lifted his hands. "I promise it was an accident, so don't shock me."