By the Way....Happy Birthday

My mother isn't the brightest of women. She's flippant, scatterbrained and always hopelessly in love. That is until she isn't. See my mom has a knack for falling head-over-heels for a man - romanticising and idealising - marrying them and then some years later she comes to the conclusion that she's miserable, so she divorces them.

Pare [father], was her first love, Antonio Javier Garza. They'd met on her trip to Spain where he worked as an Astronomy professor.

Which reminds me that I've forgotten to mention a very important detail; I'm a witch and so are my parents. Which makes this all the more embarrassing.

Anyway, my mom became infatuated with Antonio. Everything from how he talked to the way he walked made her heart skip a beat. A year later she moved to Spain and they got married. The following year I came along.

This is about the time that mom became disenchanted by the fact that Pare worked most of the year. She divorced him when I was two years old and moved us back to the states, into my grandparents' house in Florida. We always moved back to Florida.

She moved on to a man named William who she was engaged to for a while even though my grandma and grandpa didn't like him because he was a "reckless muggle" with long hair, tattoos and a motorcycle. Mom called off the engagement when William got her name - Natalia - tattooed on his chest. I was five when she pushed him in the front garden and threw her ring at him.

I never understood why she'd done it or why she could never be content in being single.

When I was almost eleven we moved to Hawai'i to go to their magic school but it was also because my mother had crossed paths with "the man of her dreams". He was nice, this Hawaiian guy, but of course it was soon not enough for her. She'd become bored.

I never felt bad for her; just for the sweet men who always tried to give her everything.

At fourteen I was still traveling to Hawai'i from Florida for school and mom ran into Sebastian, a Swedish ministry official who took a liking to her.

Sebastian was cool, calm, but always had a joke for me to laugh at. I was glad he wasn't hopeless like my mother and the other men she'd been with. She suggested early on that she and I move to Sweden but he declined saying that it was unfair to uproot me and that he wanted to take their relationship slow.

I can remember thinking that, finally, someone had a brain.

I don't think that anymore.

Two weeks ago I asked my mom when we were going to Hawai'i to get my new school things; assuming that she'd recieved the letter I hadn't. With a nervous smile she told me that we weren't and held out her left hand where a sparkling diamond engagement ring rested on her finger. Sebastian had entered the room behind her, placing a kiss to her temple and smiling down at me.

Childishly, I stormed off to my room. I know what it meant. The ring and the smiles. It meant that Sweden would be my new home and I would be transferring schools.

But I'm supposed to forget about all that today because it's my birthday. Oh joy. I hate how everyone is carrying on like nothing is changing. Maybe it is extreme of me to mope in my room but I can't pretend to be happy.

There's a soft knock on my door that I ignore but my grandma walks in anyway.

"You're lucky I can't do magic outside of school." I grumble, putting away the homework I'd recieved from my new school , Durmstrang, and my letter with its shopping list.

"Your guests are arriving." She tells me, placing a kind hand on my shoulder.

"They're your guests, not mine." I purse my lips and stand from the desk, slipping on red flats that perfectly match the nautical theme of my navy blue high-waisted shorts and sleeveless button down. I retrieved my navy blue cardigan from the back of the chair and put it on, checking that my dark chocolate brown hair is still as I had put it, in a top knot with my fringe grazing my thick, neatly arched eyebrows.