01

Sim Jaeyun didn't realise when the gentle pitter-patter of rain had turned into a heavy downpour. The droplets would trail across the black marble, rivering down the portrait in front of him.

The whole graveyard was filled with melodious, dulcet tone of the rain. Yet he felt too numb to register the sound. He wasn't sure if it was his tears or the rain that was soaking his cheeks at that moment either.

Putting down the bundle of roses he brought for her on her grave, he let his fingers trace her initials imprinted on it. He let his gaze then fall on the numbers right below her name.

21-06-2002 to 08-12-2019

"Today would have marked 6 years since we have known each other," His voice was full of love and tenderness, though he wasn't smiling the way he was exactly a year earlier.

"Thank you for living so strongly," He pressed his lips in a thin line, pulling up a faint smile over his face.

Just when he was ready to leave this much dreaded place, his name was called. Turning around, he spotted her mother waving at him from afar. Surprised by her presence, he quickly walked upto her.

"Aunty, I didn't know I'd meet you here," He mumbled, watching her fold her black umbrella, holding it dear to herself. She looked quite pale, her beauty masked by pain of losing her 17 year old daughter to death.

"Jaeyun.." She started, opening her tote bag to peep inside before she fetched out a book, "I was cleaning my daughter's room when I found this. It was addressed to you, so I thought it was only right you have it."

She handed him the book, barely managing to pull up a smile on her face, "I lost my daughter, and you lost your close friend. I know it must be hard, but don't pity her. She lived a life full of happiness because of her friends, and feeling sorry for her must be the last thing she would want."

He pulled the book close to his chest, nodding, "I won't," He promised, earning a motherly pat on his shoulder.

Looking down at the book in his hands, he was more impatient than ever to unveil as to what laid inside it. And as her mother told him, the first page was scribbled with beautiful calligraphy,

To the one who painted my monochrome days with colours, Sim Jaeyun.