Chapter 10 : The Color of Love

Start from the beginning

Josie nodded understandingly, her smile never faltering as she squeezed Hope's hand reassuringly.

"Haylee is really smart, you'll be surprised just how much she understands for a 6 year old. Talk to her before we leave back home. You'll be surprised. Come on babe Dinner is ready" Josie stood up from where she was sitting taking a hold of hopes hand. An electric shock passed between them when hopes warm palm touched hers, crackling all the way down Hopes spine. Josie swallowed back the mix of anxiety and anticipation bubbling in her throat and forced herself to meet hopes eyes. The intense way she was looking at Josie made her wonder if Hope felt it too.

"How is it that you still manage to send an electric shock through my body." Hope laughed. She slicked back her hair off her face trying to hide the redness in her cheeks. Josie bit her lip in the way that had been driving Hope crazy since they first met.

Josie moved closer to her, not hesitating to show her intentions. This time her lips met Hopes, her arms wrapped around her neck. A kiss. A kiss so simple, so sweet, so filled with love that it made the wish they never had to part.

Hope pulled Josie in tighter, her hand wandering under her wife's shirt. But before Hope could pull it up, Josie stopped her. "Easier there" she laughed before giving Hope one last kiss, and pulled away. "We have food to eat"

She turned around and closed Hopes Laptop and dragged her down stairs where the rest of the family was playing scrabble.

"And a double letter score is 18,19,20,23 and a triple word score makes a total of 69 points. I win" Rebekah clapped her hands in victory.

"Wait a minute, wait a minute there is no such word as that" Davina stood up and pointed towards Rebekahs word.

"There certainly is" Rebekah crossed her arms as she narrowed her eyes.

"Fine, I'll look it up, and if it isn't in the dictionary, I win," Davina declared, sinking back into her chair with determination.

"We don't have a dictionary, I tossed it into the lake so Haylee wouldn't read it anymore. And beat me in this game" Rebekah scoffed.

"You stole a little girl's dictionary?" Freya chuckled incredulously, giving her sister a disapproving look.

"Bex "DisDam" is not a word you made it up." Davina pulled out her phone ready to search it up.

"It's a word" Rebekah protested.

"Fine, use it in a sentence," Davina challenged, her finger hovering over the search button.

"You're not good at this DisDam game," Rebekah replied, throwing her hands up in frustration and storming away from the table. Davina bit her lip, trying to contain her laughter and frustration simultaneously.

"Wow, you give up a quicky for this?" Hope teased, prompting Josie to roll her eyes in amusement.

"Go make me a plate," Josie quipped back, playfully nudging Hope in the direction of the kitchen.

____________________________

Family dinner went as normal as usual. The best thing about eating together as a family was the possibility of laughing more than having an actual conversation. To get together on a moment notice like every day was Christmas an enjoying time together. It was heart warming. Hope was the happiest when her family took her mind off work. Nothing mattered in that moment and her brain knew it and shut off anything work related.

After dinner, Freya and Davina insisted on cleaning up the table while Rebekah and Kol washed the dishes giving Josie and Hope time to tuck their daughters goodnight. Hope entered her room. The soft glow from Josie's tablet illuminated her beautiful face against the dim light of the bedroom. Haylee and Aj on either side of their mom tucked in comfortably. Perks of having a King size bed Hope thought. The beautiful melody of the music coming from hopes vintage record player softly played through the room. Josie looked up at her wife waiting for her to join them, but Hope pointed to the bathroom signaling for a shower.