Chapter 9: Im A Mikaelson

Hope parked her car on the side of the road, right where the town's stores lined up. Being in a small vacation town, there was an abundance of stores and activities within walking distance, perfect for the family to spend quality time together. Despite the bustling crowds of families strolling along the sidewalks, the atmosphere didn't feel overwhelmingly crowded.

The girls eagerly climbed out of their booster seats and hopped down from the car, waiting for their moms to lead them to a store. Haylee scanned the area, taking in the sights of families meandering around, some emerging from stores while others enjoyed outdoor dining at nearby restaurants.

"Barbecued jerky," Haylee muttered, her eyes drawn to a large sign in a nearby window. The workers inside smiled and waved as they went about their tasks, and the savory aroma of barbecue, teriyaki, and spicy flavors wafted through the open door, making her mouth water. However, the scent triggered a series of sneezes.

*Achew*

*Achew*

Haylee quickly covered her nose with her shirt, feeling the tickle of impending snot.

"Bless you—" someone began, but when Haylee looked around, no one was nearby. She glanced back at the window, observing the workers and her mothers attempting to apply sunscreen to AJ, while leaves danced in the gentle breeze beneath her feet. No one else was in sight.

However, when she turned back, she spotted a figure leaning against a nearby tree, smiling and waving enthusiastically. Feeling a sense of unease, Haylee returned the wave, though the smile felt unsettling.

A smile.

Haylee was smart

A smile should mean happiness, she reasoned, but this one felt different—more like a predator eyeing its prey. Before she could dwell on it further, AJ interrupted her thoughts with a slap on the back.

"Ow!" Haylee snapped, turning to glare at her sister. "What?"

"What are you looking at?" AJ asked, attempting to follow Haylee's gaze.

Haylee turned back, but the figure had vanished. "Nothing," she muttered, though she couldn't shake off the feeling of discomfort. She didn't know what it was, but there was a feeling in the pit of her stomach that made her want to throw up. She touched her forehead and cheeks, but they were cool. She wasn't sick. But what was the feeling.

"Okay Haylee you get to pick the store first" Hope said, her voice loud enough to break through Hailee's thought.

"What?" Haylee said, her mother's word not yet registered.

"What!" exclaimed AJ. "Why she gots to pick?"

"Because she didn't make me put her in a choke hold to putting sunblock" Hope said, crossing her arms,

"Sunblock smells funny, and feels gross" said AJ.

"The sun is our enemy" said Hope "you want the sun to burn your skin"

"I'm here for a good time not a long time" AJ exclaimed defiantly, ready to go off to war and fight for her right to not wear sunblock.

Josie only sighed. She really did have to reevaluate her decision on letting the Mikaelson family continue to babysit.

"Let's go to that store over there" Haylee pointed to a large building. Sure it wasn't Target but it was the biggest store in town so surely there had to be things to buy; like the water guns they were planning on getting.

Once inside the store, Hope carefully placed Andrea's car seat onto the cart, making sure not to disturb her as she slept soundly.

Haylee took the lead, somehow managing to navigate to the toy section without a sense of direction. Both Aj and Haylee's eyes widened in amazement as they entered a playground of toys, their excitement palpable as they ran around exploring everything that caught their attention. Meanwhile, Josie couldn't help but feel a sense of dread knowing that Hope would likely indulge their daughters' every whim. As much as she disliked spoiling them, seeing the smiles on their faces brought her some measure of joy.