Chapter XXVII - Drop Zone

Start from the beginning

After tonight, she wouldn't have to deal with any of them, anyway. She just needed to meet with Corvair on Ahore, sign some papers, and complete the transaction. Then she would be free to start one of the several new projects she had lined up.

The past six months had been long and grueling. She had never imagined she would take up a project that involved a daily commute from a planet to its moon, considering she wasn't given residence on Ahore. They were looking for someone with a repute for not asking questions, and Glacia fit the bill. I might reconsider that at some point, given the trouble Lenoy and his petty antics gave me, she thought to herself.

Soon, the commander returned from the stern, the soldier from before at his heels, and joined her at the railing. "Looks like that priceless artifact I was talking about has been located."

"I see," Glacia replied gazing at the rolling waves.

They fell silent for a moment as they passed a small island, water lapping against its shores.

"Have you ever heard the story of the last years of... um... what was his name?" the commander said, snapping his fingers as he tried to recall. "Oh, yeah... Emperor Yilabar... the fifth, I suppose?"

"Do I seem like I might have heard of it?" Glacia asked wearily.

"To be honest... no," the commander admitted. "Have you heard it, Kae?"

The soldier shook his head nervously. "No, sir."

"Well, then, let me recount it to you both," the commander said. "It's a very interesting story. You should hear it."

Fortunately, we're going to be at the spacestrip in a few minutes, Glacia thought, relieved.

"So, the emperor found a method to build power sources that could be... actually, why don't we skip that? Suffice it to say, he oversaw the production of some priceless artifacts," the commander began.

"The one that's just been located?" Glacia asked half-heartedly.

"Well, technically, yes," the commander admitted. "At least it's related. But that's not the point. In his last years, he became sort of weird. Something came over him, and he decided he couldn't let future generations wield the power of these artifacts. So, he did what any of us would do — stash them away in an unknown location."

"It is an interesting story," Glacia said, wanting to roll her eyes.

"There was only one problem. Or, well, thousands of problems — the slaves. They knew where the cache was constructed. What to do with them?" the commander carried on, stroking his chin. "Again, the emperor did what any of us would do — kill the slaves. Bury them along with the artifacts. After all, what better way is there to ensure silence?"

Suddenly, the ferry stopped. What happened? Glacia wondered. She frowned and faced the commander. "Why are we stopped?" she inquired.

The soldier stepped next to the commander as if preparing for something.

"That was quite a delivery, wasn't it? To think I just learned it a few days ago," the commander said, chuckling.

"Commander? Why are we stopped?" Glacia repeated her question.

"You are a smart girl, Ms. Frosnow," the commander replied. "After all, you outsmarted fat, old Frovich."

Glacia's jaw dropped in surprise. "You know him?"

"Not personally, no," the commander said nonchalantly. "Corvair does, though... maybe. As I gather, that Cryovreeze idiot was supposed to get you into prison. Obviously, he failed, or you wouldn't be here, listening to my stories."