Chapter 2: Abduction and a Friend's Denial

Start from the beginning

⟡ ⟡ ⟡

May 1st, in Advanced Nurturing High School.

By the time I opened the browser—"White Room...Scandal? Huh...? Kiyotaka...? Kiyopon?!"—the news feed was filled with articles about the White Room Scandal. 'Lab-Rats', 'Human-Machines', 'Facility'—her hands were shaking as she read the titles of the articles and the little glimpses of content it provided below. She remembered what the two men earlier said just outside the dormitory.

She didn't open a single article and looked up.

"Is it, really...true...?" she muttered, "No, that's not it."

She denied the hurtful thoughts that corrupted her mind. She felt like painful thorns were pierced through her heart. She didn't want to, but, unwillingly, her shaky hands were forcing themselves to open the newly formed group chat. She had a vague idea of what it was; but still, she tried to stop—she failed.

"!"

The group chat was very active. Links relevant to what she wanted to deny were sent every now and then. People saying that it's in the school forums and the like were also there.

With unease, she randomly selected a hyperlink that directed her to a shady website not using DNS technology. The website was a blank canvas except for a single video at the center.

...Tap.

⟡ ⟡ ⟡

"Beat up someone eh? Tch! When they gonna bring whoever that wimp shit is." the thug said impatiently. It'd been about 2 minutes since his restrained limbs were freed. A few moments later...

Clunk! Creak....

"Finally...huh?! An actual wimp shit?!" the thug exclaimed as he saw the small figure of a boy with brown hair. The boy wore something that looked similar to a hospital gown. His face was apathetic.

"Kiyo...pon...?" she muttered. Her knees were starting to feel wobbly, and her legs were going numb.

Creak...Clunk! The door was then shut by someone, leaving the two in the room.

"..." The boy was silent and still wore a blank expression.

"Ya serious?! Heh! I don't really mind beating some cripple! Nah, 'mma play with you like you're some dog's toy bone."

He carefreely walked towards the boy. When the distance was right, he extended his arm intending to grab his new-found 'toy-bone'. The boy stopped the approaching hand by covering it with his. The formerly extended fingers were now clenched.

"What? ya want a handshake or—"

Crack!

Haruka's eyes widened.

"Huh?"

Cra-cra-crack!

"Ah! Ah! Argh!" With a shocked and pained expression, the thug looked at his fist. It was deformed, it was wet—grotesque, and was even more so with each crack. He forced his hand out, pulled out with his entire body, his entire strength; but still, he can't force it out—the boy's clench was far too strong that his footing didn't even budge.

The pain was indescribable. "Urgh!" With desperation, the thug threw a knee aimed at the boy's chin. Thud! The boy effortlessly blocked the incoming knee and held it in place. He loosened his grip on the deformed hand and raised the thug's knee upwards Bam! That action forced the thug to lose his balance and fall to the ground.