Chapter Five: Blade's History & Dusty's Fire

That night, the moon cast a silvery glow over the air attack base. All was calm and still as Dusty quietly rolled over to the main hangar, eager to get answers about what happened earlier today. Anna, however, had fallen asleep after her long flight and training. Braedey and Turbo were there as well, after having talked to McQueen and Annalise about what's happened earlier today, and they agreed for them to come along. The three of them waited out in front of the hangar until a peephole opened.

"Password." Maru whispered.

Dusty was confused. "Password? You didn't tell me..." Maru hushed him. "You didn't tell us a password." He whispered.

"It's 'Inferno'." Maru now smiled, revealing his missing tooth.

Dusty, Braedey, and Turbo nodded. "Okay." They acknowledge. Maru waited as his smile turned to a frown.

"Oh. Inferno." Braedey whispered.

Maru slid the peephole firmly shut, and opened the hangar doors, letting the three inside. "Glad you could make it. You like "Inferno"? It was either that, or "Maelstrom," but that was so Nordic."

Dipper, Windlifter, Howler, Hotspot, and Cabbie were sitting around an old rear-projection television

Dipper, Windlifter, Howler, Hotspot, and Cabbie were sitting around an old rear-projection television. The Smokejumpers rolled up close to the screen and fought over where to sit. Everyone excitedly grabbed cans of oil and got comfortable for whatever was to happen.

Dipper smiled to Dusty. "Park it over here, Dust Storm. Our first date, and I saved you a spot." Warily, Dusty rolled over to Dipper. She scooted close, cuddling against him. Then, she slowly and shyly put her wing pontoon down around him. "Yeah. They're real."

"So, what's going on?" Braedey asked, rolling up alongside Howler and Hotspot. "And where are the others?"

"Just taking the time to get some sleep." Hotspot replied. "We thought we'd show you lot regarding about who Blade really is."

"Oh, okay." Turbo nodded, just as Gears puts a can of oil in front of her. "Thank you."

Maru now held up an old videotape with the title 'Howard the Truck'. Dusty had no idea what was going on.

"'Howard The Truck'?" Dusty asked in confusion. "You invited me here to watch..."

"Dude, dude, dude. Judge not a video by its cover." Drip spoke back to Dusty.

Maru slid the tape out of the case to reveal its white homemade label: EPISODE 17: "DISCO INFERNO" was scribbled on it in blue maker. Maru pushed the tape into the VCR, and it whirred to life when he hit the play button. It started to show an old commercial for the law offices of Larry H. Parkinglot.

Then, a disco beat now began to play over a black screen. Two blue-and-gold California Helicopter Patrol copters appeared in the sky over a big city. The snappy theme song began as the show's title, ChoPs, appeared on the screen. The two stars grinned as their names popped up: "BLAZIN'" BLADE RANGER and NICK "LOOP'N" LOPEZ.