Chapter Four: Firefighter Training

The next morning, Blade took both Dusty and Anna down to Augerin Canyon to begin training. The narrow canyon was breathtaking as it twisted and curved into the pine-covered forest, following the river. Huge outcroppings of rocks and boulders dotted the landscape. Natural arches stretched across parts of the canyon like strange, jagged bridges. At the far end of the canyon a narrow road by the river met up with a massive wooden bridge. Whitewall Falls, a mile-high rushing waterfall, thundered down the mountain behind the bridge.

"Fighting wildfire means flying low. And that's why we have Augerin Canyon, our own little obstacle course." Blade explained to the two planes. "All you gotta do is stay below the rim, and when you get to the bridge, fly under and pull out."

Dusty smirked. "Flying low. No problem."

Blade narrowed his eyes at Dusty. "Overconfidence; the kind of attitude that can get you killed."

Anna looked to him. "Okay."

Dusty and Anna both dove into the canyon and expertly avoided arches and obstacles, showing off their speed and agility. As they do so, Blade was flying overhead of the valley, watching the two as they fly along.

"Okay, now, let's see you make it under that bridge." Blade said to them.

Dusty sped up and headed for the wooden bridge by the falls. He was so focused on the task that for a moment, he completely forgot about his busted gearbox. Dusty's face fell when he now remembered, and looked at the torque gauge, Anna doing the same. It was climbing through the yellow zone, toward the red. The needle touched red, and the warning light started to flash. Panicking, Dusty and Anna pulled up and out of the canyon, easing back on his power. The flashing stopped, and Dusty cleared the rim and joined up with Blade.

"Why did you pull power? You gotta firewall it." Blade demanded from them.

Dusty stuttered a little. "The bridge, it's too close to the falls."

"No excuses. If there had been a downdraft, you'd be dead." Blade warned them.

~*~*~

Down at Anchor Lake, Blade brought Dusty and Anna over to learn how to scoop water. The big, shimmering lake was home to an anchor-shaped island. Dipper was there to demonstrate as Blade and Dusty took in the view.

Dusty and Anna watched as Dipper flew over trees and dropped down sharply toward Anchor Lake

Dusty and Anna watched as Dipper flew over trees and dropped down sharply toward Anchor Lake. Anna, since she had a sprayer, she would have to top up her water back at the airbase.

"Make a normal seaplane approach. Stay on the step while collecting water through the scoops. Just like that." Blade said to Dusty.

Dipper gracefully skimmed the surface, scooping up water with the scoops on her underside. Then she climbed back above the trees on the opposite side. She made it look so easy.