3| baby

MADDIE

IT TOOK ME two years of seeing my father at least once a week to bring myself to call him Dad and to not deny to anyone who asked that he was my dad.

It took a lot for me to trust him that much.

Sometimes I think too much about it and I backtrack, doubting that it was smart to let him back into my life, and I've come to terms with that.

He gave up on me before and I'm always going to have a fear, deep down, that he's going to give up on me again.

I'm not sure it's ever going to go away.

But seeing him, all smiles, welcoming me with a teddy bear hug, it's easier to forget how badly he hurt me and my brothers.

"Hi, Dad," I beam, my cheek pressed into his shoulder, and he kisses the top of my head.

"Morning, Koala Bear. How are you?" He asks, stepping back to give me a big smile, and I nod, sliding into our usual booth at the family restaurant we tend to go to most.

"Really good. You?"

"I'm good, keeping busy. How's school?" He sits across from me, instantly picking up his menu and scanning over it.

I know where the boys get their appetite from.

"Eh, I dunno, it's school. I haven't really gotten into anything to do with teaching yet, I'll do that later on, but it just feels like I'm continuing high school." I laugh, making him smile, his eyes crinkling at the corners.

"How's Sam?" He asks, setting his menu down.

Shifting in my seat, I shrug. "He's fine. He loves the academy, even if he does hate the fact we can't talk for like twelve hours out of the day."

He nods, giving me a sympathetic look.

"How's Sylvia?" I ask, referring to a woman he works with, and he rolls his eyes.

She totally has a crush on him, but he denies it. In a gross, old person, way, it's kinda sweet.

"I don't see why you're always so invested in Sylvia, dear, there's nothing going on." He says offhandedly, making me roll my eyes as well, but a waitress is here before I can reply.

"Maddie, Mr. Lace, how are you two this morning?" Our usual waitress, Alice, says cheerily, setting a cup of water in front of each of us.

"We're lovely, thank you, Alice. How are you?" I reply, and she smiles widely.

"Wonderful, happy to see my favorite usuals."

"I'm sure you say that to all the old people who come in here." I tease, making her laugh.

"And how about Nat?" I bring up her favorite topic, her thirteen year old daughter, and she beams.

"Doing absolutely amazing in her math class since you started tutoring her. She even told me she found it fun." Alice says, and I hold a hand to my heart, grinning.

"Tell her I'm very proud of her, she worked hard for that."

"I absolutely will." She smiles, before shifting the notepad in her hands. "We having our usuals or are you changing things up?"

"Why change it up when it's perfect?" Dad counters, making her laugh.

"Two Calico Cafe Skillets, then," she scribbles down on her notepad, then looks back up at us. "Coffees?"

"Yes please, I haven't had any today and I need it." I rush out, and she laughs.

"It'll be right out to you, just give me a holler if you need anything." She gives us a big smile, taking our menus, before turning on her heel and heading towards the kitchen.