nine

We were brought full protective equipment, basically plastic suits with oxygen to ensure we could breathe, a little late for that considering we've already touched the man.

But we put it on.

And we waited.

I bounced my knee, glancing to Calum, who held the same stance as me.

"You do realize- regardless of this test, we can't go home with Sophia, right?" Michael spoke slowly.

He was right.

We knew barley anything about the testing process, he could come back negative and still have it for all we know.

"I have to figure out something" I mumbled.

"Should we get hotels?" I asked.

"It would be cheaper to just get her a hotel room, get someone to check her out of school, go get her things, take her shopping for food and then check her into a hotel room." Calum spoke slowly.

I hated to leave my baby alone in a hotel, but I also don't want to see my baby on a ventilator.

I nodded slowly, that's what I had to do.

"You can get Harry to go get her, he's been off of work to practice his study." Michael suggested one of our closest friends, who was a general doctor, but was working on a study to cure dementia.

"I'll call him as soon as I can get out of here." I mumbled.

Soon our biggest boss came in, wearing the same equipment.

"Sir, you along with three other people brought into our hospital today has tested positive for COVID, we will monitor you and your breathing for fourth eight hours, if you're still stable at the end of these hours, you will be sent home, but if you get worse, you will be treated here. Staff, this floor is now considered our COVID-19 floor, no one but you guys, patients with COVID and other appointed staff are allowed on this floor, and you will wear full protective equipment the entire time you are on the floor along with weekly COVID swabs." He told us, making us all nod.

We got signed up for hell.

"Sir your nurse button is on the right side of your bed rail, push it if you need anything, staff may I speak to you outside." He spoke.

We walked out with him.

"Very sorry to tell you guys the bad news. Start taking vitamin c like your life depends on it, stay hydrated and if you even feel a tickle in your throat, get someone to test you." He spoke.

"Chief" I spoke, making him look to me.

"You mind if I take some time to call some people and get Sophia checked out of school and brought to a hotel?" I asked, seeing sympathy take over his face.

"Take all the time you need Hemmings, but keep your baby safe. As much as it hurts, you need to stay away from her for as long as possible."

I went to a break room and found my phone, instantly calling Harry.

"Hemmings- long time no talk" he instantly answered, sounding happy.

"Hey Harry, how are you?" I asked him.

"Good mate- everything okay? You sound a little down?" He asked.

"Have you heard anything about COVID?" I asked him.

"Yeah- I've been keeping up with it through the news, it's horrible- killing people left and right." He spoke.

"Myself along with the rest of the guys have been exposed today, so far we have three patients with COVID." I told him calmly.

"Oh Jesus- I'm sorry Luke, how can I help?" He asked.

"Sophia has sever asthma, so she can't get it. Could you please go get her out of school, take her to our house to get her things and then to the store to buy some food for a hotel room? She has a credit card with my name on it, so you won't have to pay for a thing-" "Luke, no worries- I'll go get her, it's been years since I've seen her anyway, I'll get your girl in the best hotel possible" he spoke.

"Just tell her to call me and tell her I said I'm so sorry" I spoke.

"I will, but don't blame yourself for this- you're being a great dad and she's going to understand that."