ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ xxɪɪɪ - ᴅᴀʀᴋ ɴɪɢʜᴛ

Start from the beginning

Meghan paused, searching for a sign that Lauren had even registered her statements. "Why? Lauren, why are you doing this?" She questioned, eyes squinting in confusion. "What will all this war give you?" She pointed her hand out to the skirmish below them, "Will you gain more than what has already been taken?!"

Lauren's hands balled into fists as she struggled to explain it all, even to herself. "You-" she shifted her stance, her head dropping low. "You would never understand."

Meghan shook her head. "Try me."

The Corrupted Queen had conjured up thousands of excuses before, many little reasons on why she was doing this in the first place. Her purpose, her destiny. She belonged on the diamond throne, for example, who could the crown of thorns reference other than her? Or the visions of her grandaunt, the ones that foresaw tragedy.

She was only preventing it. Doing what was in the best intrest of her nation and her self.

"I'm in danger. I always have been," Lauren started. "So instead of allowing my enemies to find me, instead of becoming a victim, I chose to strike first."

"We are all in danger, Lauren. With all our differences that is the one thing us monarchs could understand," Meghan shook her head. "And what makes you so sure of this danger, did you have any proof?"

"I‐" Lauren started, faltering with the rest of the sentence before being reduced to silence. Did she have proof? Her grandaunt's visions were not accessible to her. She didn't see them with her own eyes. But would Granny lie to her about something this important?

"You will obey me, or your head falls off your neck." She recalled those words vivdly.

It's not that she trusted Granny anymore. How could she with the revelation that her parents died because of that sick hag? But her father was the most powerful man she had ever known, and to be wiped out so easily...

"I don't want to do this," Lauren slunk down on a chair, and covered her face with her palms. Her body shook slightly.

Meghan froze. What just happened? She shifted her weight between her legs, not quite sure how to proceed.

"Stupid..." Lauren muttered, her eyes shut tightly, in an effort to prevent a stream of tears. Diamond Throne? What in the Nether was she thinking? She could barely handle herself against her grandaunt. What delusion made her think she could handle ruling Youtoria? But that was just the thing. Lauren's eyes shot open, a single tear ran down her cheek, that was swiped away with a finger. It wasn't her delusion.

It was Granny's plan.

OLD YOUTORIA - the Mesa Kingdom's base of operations

Oli pleaded with the guards. "Let me in. I must speak to your King and I must speak to him now!" They entered the tent once before, only to return with blank expressions. He had been rejected. What was going on with Scott? Oli knew that he was just doing this to protect the realm from Queen Lauren's wrath. But if Meghan would be successful in her task, then Scott should be prepared to call it off.

He cupped his hands around his mouth "Scott!" Oli bellowed. He needed to get through to him. He must be aware of their plan. Then maybe this whole thing could end. And he could finally get a night's sleep in the comfort of his own bed.

"King Scott!" He tried once more. The covers of the tent flew open. The Mesa King entered into the daylight, his iron armor shining with the reflection of the sky.

He waved a hand and the two guards bowed in his presence before marching off, disappearing behind the supply crates scattered around the area.

Bypassing the Corrupted Kingdom's claimed area, Oli could tell that the Mesa Kingdom was much more prepared for this debacle. It made sense. The Mesa Army left after word of the Corrupted Kingdom's advancements were revealed. They must've known this face off would happen and they brought extra materials in preparation.