What Happened

Hisoka

I hold Illumi close to my chest, his light breaths moving his collarbone rhythmically.

The both of us had changed and decided to stay on the couch for majority of the day. Considering my love's restless night, I knew he would be worn out and willing.

"Breakfast?" I question, twirling a piece of his raven black hair around my finger.

He nods into my shoulder, and slowly starts to move off of me.

I stand up, shifting my weight back and for ty before walking into the kitchen.

Black marble countertops and black appliances come into view.

"Omelet?" I question, pulling a pan out of one of the cabinets.

Illumi looks towards me with his beautiful eyes and nods.

As soon as I have my reply I get to work. Grabbing the egg carton out of the fridge before briskly greasing the pan. I crack the eggs and move them around to cover everything.

As soon as his meal is ready, I plate it and bring it over. "Here you are," I give a small smile while holding the food out.

"Thanks," he mumbles while taking it from me.

I go back to turn off the appliances, neglecting to cook myself anything. As I return to the couch, I sit down beside my love.

"Hey," I mumble quietly, resting my hand on his thigh.

The assassin turns his head, black hair following suit. "I- 'soka.. he.. the contracted-."

Illumi's words seem to fall short as his eyes stare off in distress.

I lean over and kiss him on the cheek, letting him know everything is ok.

"He brought up Mom," his face fell as the words left his mouth. The Zoldyck looked as if he was going to be sick. Being utterly disgusted by his thoughts.

"That disgrace of a human," Illumi's voice grows in volume as he speaks, "she's the reason I'm like this."

Within a moment, I realize tears are flowing down my love's face. His features trying to remain sturdy and strong, but failing him nonetheless.

He raises both of his arms in defense, a force of habit I suspect.

I simply give him a moment, and speak so he knows it's me and not her. "Illu, it's me darling, I'm the only one here."

He slowly lowers his arms, and looks at me with his deadpanned eyes. "Why do I have to exist as such a monster."

"You are nothing of the sort," I grimace, "besides, being normal is boring." I run my index finger along his jawline, "You'll get the hang of your emotions eventually, do not let it bother you so."

Illumi nods, although seemingly not agreeing completely.

"I think it would do you well to talk about the fight," I suggest, not trying to seem too pushy.

"He cornered me," Illumi pulls out a needle and flips it in between his fingers, "I can't even remember his face."

"The guy was yelling, he knew about my mother," the assassin sighs, "he knew about.. my past."

"Oh," my shoulders tense.

"He used my trauma against me," he looks off into the distance with disgust, "what a pathetically low move."

Before I have a moment to speak he continues, "Nontheless, I shouldn't have let it get to me.. I just.. I couldn't stay as strong as usual."

"Is there any specific reason," I ask, tapping my nails along my leg.

"I thought of you."

My heart drops at those words. "What?" I ask quietly.

"I just-," he takes a moment before continuing, "I thought about how much you care for me and how ridiculously horrible I was treated before."

In a moment, a fire lights behind those eyes of his. "Why couldn't they just love me, I was their child!"

"They chose to have me and raise me as a machine," Illumi glares, "no one, no one, deserves that."

"So why.."

I try to speak but I just.. can't.

"Why me?"

"The things I would do to them," I bite the inside of my lip with anger. "Illu, you say the word and I'll go after them."

The assassin contemplates for a moment, but then turns towards me. "No," he shakes his head, "one day.. I'll do it."