Chapter 19: Struggling

Start from the beginning

"For now, rest. I can take her for a bit. You can't do this on fumes."

"Sophia, you have work-"

"Jessica, I'm not asking." Sophia walked out of the kitchen grabbing a burp cloth tossing it on her shoulder. She makes it to the kitchen's entrance before turning back to her elder sister. "Rest Jess, trust me."

She doesn't wait any further as she walks back up towards her room. Jessica stands in the kitchen for a moment before looking up towards the ceiling. 

"You should be so proud of her."

With that, she listens to her sister and walks back to her room collapsing on the bed. Her exhaustion getting to her and she instantly falls asleep. Her dreams filled with a certain little bundle that has taken her heart. 

Sophia made it back to her room before walking over to her hanging chair and sitting down. She reaches over to plug in the fairy lights aligning it and begins gently pushing forward and backward. Her eyes going to the beautiful girl whose eyes are looking to the lights. 

"Pretty little girl, you should be nicer to your mom. She loves you sooooo much."

The little baby doesn't answer as her arms begin to move reaching for the lights. Sophia smiles down at her as she continues to feed her. Her voice beginning to hum a song. 

She begins to sing the familiar song as Destiny finishes her bottle. She sets it aside before bringing the baby to her shoulder gently patting her back. She continues to sing rotating little Destiny to swaddle her seeing the infant's eyes barely staying open. She stands up walking over to her window looking out at the stars. 

And you're gonna make it

And the night can only last for so long

She turns back to her bed gently getting back on it with the sleeping bundle tucked to her side. She makes sure she is safe before checking her phone making sure her alarm is still on. Her eyes closing on their own accord. She holds her beautiful niece allowing her demons to lie dormant for a brief moment. 

The next time she opened her eyes it was due to her alarm. She quickly shut it off and looked down to find Destiny was still asleep surprising her. She kissed her little head before rotating her to the center of her bed. Making a little bit of a pillow fort, she walks to her bathroom checking one last time to make sure the baby was still secure before turning on the shower. She left her door open to the bedroom just in case. Taking a quick shower, she comes out. Hearing soft whimpers, she knows Destiny is beginning to wake up. She makes quick work to get her clothes on before gathering the waking baby in her arms. She walks down the stairs as Destiny begins to voice louder. 

"Shh little miss... Let's not wake mommy."

She walks over to the formula and makes a bottle with one hand finding it to be a bit of a challenge. She begins feeding Destiny while grabbing an apple for herself. Her body continuing the swaying motion as Destiny settles happily with a bottle. Looking towards the kitchen entrance, she is not ready to wake Jessica knowing how hard this has been. She grabs her phone quickly dialing a number. 

"Good Morning Tesoro"

"Good Morning Luca." A smile accompanied by a blush appearing on her face. "I need a favor."

"Okay?" His voice holding the question. 

"May I bring Destiny with me today? You don't have any scheduled meetings and I can even stay down in Jess' office if need be."