Chapter Eight

My fingers flying over the keyboard and music playing softly were the only sounds. Pietro had left his room to go and grab us a drink. His parents didn't mind him having me in his room. Pietro came back with two glasses of lemonade. He placed them both on his desk, and then came to sit next to me on his bed.

"How's the report going?" he asked, reading the words over my shoulder.

"Well, I think it's going well," I joked.

Pietro laughed and opened his laptop. He opened the google doc we were working on and began typing away at his section. It was silent for a few minutes before f/s began playing.

"This is my favourite song!" I exclaimed, jumping up.

I spun around and raised my arms above my head. Pietro jumped up as well and placed a hand on my waist, while the other grabbed one of my hands. He spun me around the room. We danced and danced, forgetting about our project for the moment.

When we remembered that we actually had to be educated, we sat back down on the bed. Pietro was closer to me now, though. His leg touched mine and butterflies burst in my stomach. Sure, we were dating, but it didn't stop the feeling of butterflies every time I was around him. I wasn't exactly nervous, but my heart did end up beating faster around him.

"You know, I haven't been to your house yet," Pietro commented casually.

I looked up at him to see him looking at me.

"I – yeah," I said.

"Do you think I could meet your parents?" he asked.

I nearly choked.

"I... um... I'm not sure," I said.

Pietro looked down sadly.

"Okay," he said quietly.

"I- I didn't mean it like that," I said quickly. "It's just... you're my first boyfriend. I have no idea how my parents are going to react."

Pietro just nodded again. I sighed.

"Of course you can meet my parents. I'm just afraid that... that..." I trailed off.

"That they won't approve of me?" Pietro suggested bitterly.

"What? No! My parents already love you. When I told my mother about the carnival date, she said that she was so excited to meet you," I said.

Pietro looked up at me happily.

"I'm just afraid that they'll scare you away," I said quietly. "My mother is... I love her. So much. She wants the best for me. And she used to work for the FBI, so, you know, she'll probably interrogate you."

Pietro looked at me sympathetically.

"Nothing can scare me away from you," Pietro reassured me.

"Really? Even if I sprout wings and learn how to fly?" I mumbled.

Pietro snorted.

"I think it would just add to the talents that my beautiful girlfriend has. I mean, how many people can fly?" he joked.

I laughed along with him.

"I'd love for you to meet my parents," I said, smiling.

Pietro smiled at me and kissed me. He pulled back and looked at me mischievously.

"So, you've told your parents about me?"

I sat in the lounge room, waiting for my boyfriend to arrive. My chest was twisting with anxiety. What if my parents didn't like him? What if my parents embarrassed me? The questions kept flooding my mind until the doorbell rang. I checked the time, seeing that it was already five o'clock. I jumped up and quickly walked to the door. I opened it to see Pietro standing there with two bouquets of flowers.

"One's for you and the other is for your mother," he said.

I hugged him around his neck, careful not to crush the flowers. When I pulled back, he handed me a bouquet and held onto the other. My mother arrived at the door.

"Pietro! It's lovely to meet you!" my mother exclaimed.

"It's lovely to meet you too. These are for you," he said, holding out the flowers.

My mother took them, thanking him.

"I'm Peggy," she said. "My husband, f/n, isn't here at the moment. He has work, but he'll be here in time for dinner."

She gestured for us to follow her into the kitchen. We sat at the kitchen island while my mother prepared and cooked dinner. She asked Pietro a lot of questions, and he was polite the whole time. He asked about her, and they seemed to be getting along well.

"Where is your bathroom?" he asked me after about an hour of chatter.

"It's down the hall, first door to the right," I said, pointing.

Pietro thanked me and headed down the hall.

"He's a lovely boy," my mother said.

I looked at her to see that she was looking at me. She smiled. I sighed deeply, thinking of Pietro.

"Yeah," I agreed. "He is."

"Do you love him?" she asked out of the blue.

"Mum!" I exclaimed quietly. "I've only been dating him for about four weeks!"

My mother just shrugged.

"He's sweet. You better keep him," was all she said.

Pietro came back and conversation resumed, but I couldn't stop thinking about what my mother said. So she did approve. A weight lifted and I felt a lot calmer.

Later my father came home. He shook hands with Pietro and seemed calm. I guess if my mother already accepted Pietro, my father would, too.

The dinner was great. Pietro always stayed polite and even held my hand under the table.

Eventually, Pietro had to go home. He said goodbye to my parents, and I led him to the door.

"That went well," I said after we got outside.

Pietro agreed. He paused for a moment before leaning in and kissing me. The kiss was chaste, but sweet. When he pulled back, I frowned, wanting more. Pietro just laughed and pecked me on the lips.

"I'll see you tomorrow at school, okay?" he said.

I sighed a nodded, giving him a hug. I waved goodbye and walked to my room. I sat on my bed and smiled, my thoughts full of the boy who had captured my heart.