Chapter 28

I heard the boat before I could see it.
Frank arrived right by the cabin and I sighed with relief.
Maybe he could help lift the crates with our food into the cabin before we left.
I had refused any help from Michael, but I couldn't focus on walking and carrying the crate at the same time.
Oddly enough, the wind had slowed down a little and every once in a while I could feel the sun peek between the clouds.
I stumbled my way across the beach, to get to Frank before Michael could.
The man, who I assumed was Frank, frowned when he saw me and looked behind him as if to check if he was on the right island.
'Hey!' I waved at him. 'You must be Frank, I'm Bailey. By the look on your face, I'm going to assume Michael didn't tell you that I was here.'
The old man shook his head. 'Where is Michael?' he asked shortly.
'He's inside the cabin, I think he fell back asleep.' I frowned as I looked at the cabin behind me.
Frank nodded as if this was normal and turned to the cargo on his boat. 'Alright, well. On my way here I got the news that the storm had turned away from the island, you'll likely get a good thunderstorm later today but that's about it. Michael always has the usual things he asks for, those were already packed so here they are.' He said, grabbing the crate that was hidden under a blanket and handing it to me.
'Wait, so we don't need to leave?' I wonder.
Frank shook his head. 'Nope, not today. Although I'll take you back to Australia if you need me to?'
I look back at the cabin, not entirely sure how to start. 'Here's the thing.' I say, setting the crate down in the sand. 'Michael has had a fever for the last 3 days. I think he needs to see a doctor but he keeps saying it'll pass. Can we just pretend the storm is still coming to get him to a hospital?'
Frank looked behind me and nodded as he started walking. 'Do you mind if I take a look at him?'
I shake my head and follow him to the cabin.
Michael is sitting against the wall next to the door. Exactly where I had left him 30 minutes earlier.
His head resting against the wall behind him, his mouth hanging open and his eyes tightly shut.
Frank looked at the vomit by the doorway and grimaced before focusing his attention on Michael.
Without walking inside, Frank shook Michael's arm and Michael jolted awake.
'You don't look too good mate.' Frank frowned. 'Let's go, come on.'
Michael looked at him as if he wasn't fully conscious, then nodded and slowly stood up.
I walked back to the boat in front of the others and I could feel Michael's gaze on me the whole way there.
'When did your brace stop working?' he frowned when he and Frank caught up to me.
'Just today.' I smiled vaguely and turned to the boat.
It wasn't entirely the truth, but it wasn't a complete lie either.
It hadn't completely stopped working until today.
We all climbed onto the boat and Frank started taking us back to Australia.
Michael rested his head against my shoulder and we sat in silence for a while.
It wasn't until halfway through that Michael suddenly looked at me and said: 'It doesn't look like there's a storm coming anymore.'
I smiled apologetically and shortly looked at Frank before looking back at Michael's tired, sunken in face.
'I know, The storm actually turned around and went in a different direction. But you've had a high fever for the last 3 days and I don't trust it so we're taking you to the hospital.'
Michael groaned but put his head back on my shoulder and accepted his fate.
I looked at the sea in front of us, in truth, I likely would've never gotten on a boat ever again if Michael hadn't gotten sick.
It was terrifying, every time the boat collided with a wave, my heart dropped. By the time we reached the dock, I was a trembling mess, but I didn't want to give in to the fear and anxiety.
Instead, I focused on Michael.
It only just occurred to me now that I was wearing nothing but Michael's shirt and boxers. And Michael was only wearing a pair of shorts. Neither of us had bothered putting on shoes.
Frank got out of the boat first and helped Michael out before helping me.
He ushered us to his car and started driving to the hospital. Frank made some calls I didn't bother listening to and Michael and I sat in silence for a while, looking out the window.
I felt like I had been violently thrust back into reality. I didn't like it.
The sounds of the traffic around us, the number of people walking through the city. Somehow it made me feel uneasy.
It wasn't long until we arrived at the hospital. Frank took us inside, making sure we were in the right place, then left, mentioning something about his family waiting for him.
Michael was taken back quickly and I was left to wait in the waiting room.