The Day I Last Saw Her Alive

Note: While this is based on real life, most (if not all) of the content of this story is fictional. People involved (dead or alive) are real & any portrayal of them in the story is in the imagination of the author herself.

"Our sincerest condolences and prayers go out to her family and friends. Her death, unfortunate and untimely, has left everyone at Bb. Pilipinas Charities, Inc. deeply saddened. Her passing will not only leave a void in our lives, but also in the hearts of everyone who knew her. Melody's memory will always remain deep within our hearts." - Stella Marquez-Araneta, Bb. Pilipinas Charities Inc. (BPCI) chairperson, Miss International 1960

"Hello there. I don't mean to barge in but I'm looking for a Miss Philippines. I bear sad news for her..."

The man was there, standing facing the stage where we're rehearsing. I was doing well, to be honest, but his SONAR-like words caught me. "Is she here?" he asked. Then I raised my hand, saying "Uhhh, here." He then came up the stage and told me the most shattering words I ever heard: "Well, I'm afraid that your friend back home is dead. Killed from a car accident in a province there..."

He said she's dead?!? Mel's gone... Why did this happen to her? What if it didn't happen at all? the emptiness her death gave me was as big as the Events Center of Mandalay Resort & Casino where the competition is going to be held. Soon the memories of the last time we were together seeped in: the day I left the Philippines for the US. The car we're in was small but not too small. But weren't alone: there's her boyfriend Toti Rocha & Mama who is worried if I ever arrive there safely.

"Anak, even if you didn't win, you'll always be our Miss Universe," she told me softly.

"Hey, be careful while you're there. You don't wanna lose your head..." said Toti when he was suddenly interrupted by Mel who was already annoyed by his teasing about my near disqulification from the competition due to my birth certificate which has some errors on it.

"Zip it, already!!" she playfully teased him, pretending to hurt his feelings. 

I looked at her, smiling on how she was able to defend me properly, knowing it nearly hurt me badly. You see, Mel wasn't just my friend, she's also one of the coaches for the competition along with Bb. Pilipinas Charities Inc. chairperson & former Miss International (Mel was one of the Top 15 semifinalists there a year before in Japan) Stella Marquez-Araneta. She helped me picking up the outfits I can wear for the contest.

Once we reached the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA), we got out of the car; Toti helped Mama & myself placing the luggage into the cart I picked up in the cart line. I saw Mel standing out, looking at the sky. She looked very fine that day: the outfit appears as if she is willing to live a full life ahead, a black lace & cotton top with spaghetti straps, dark blue denim skirt & bronze flats which were adorned with a garnet-like gem ring which Toti obviously gave her a year into their relationship, a plain gold necklace & stud earrings. I approached to her & asked her something,"Hoy, Mare. Don't you think you'll be to see me make to the contest? I'm justing asking since everyone is sick wondering who'll  win the contest?"

"Oh, hard to tell. But don't worry talaga; even if we're apart, Mare, I'll be there for you, no matter how hard the going can be. So, what do you want to ask?" she told me, holding onto each other's hands like sisters. Then finally, it's a few minutes before boarding time & I have to go quickly.

"Well, I guess it's time for me to go," I told them.

Mama approached to me & did the sign of the cross at me for protection. While she's doing that, we shed tears of worry & of hope. Toti was looking on, very bored with Mel pinching him on the shoulder. He then hugged me a little too tight. Mel came in last, with our hands locked in for the last time, she told me a casual but very calming advice: "Mare, don't worry. Just relax & enjoyed the (Miss Universe) pageant while you still can." We let go of each other as if we're in slow motion.  As I was going inside the departure area, pushing the cart with me, I looked back to saw Mama, Toti & Mel for the last time until I'll be home again. Mama blew a kiss to me, Toti gave a thumb's up & Mel waved at me.

"Paalam, Mare. Good luck at ingat," she told me.

I couldn't help but to smile at them (even Mel) &, as I went inside, they seemed to be reduced into three blurry dots in the air then vanished. That's the last time I saw Mel alive. The time before she died a few weeks after we saw each other.  Then someone nudged me at the shoulder. It was my  Malaysian roommate, Nadine Ann (Thomas). She was surprised to see me weeping so she just went to where I was in the stage.

"Hey, Venus, are you okay?" she asked. I just shrugged in reply.

"Come on, just don't let anyone see you like this. I'm pretty sure you know how to do it, you know, controling your feelings & emotions," she advised me. I guess she's right, I shouldn't let anyone see in emotional stress.

I pull myself together & continued with the practice. Then the contest came in, I still felt bad about Mel, when they were calling in the Top 15, I was bothered by her untimely death. 14 ladies were called in & I heard Mel's advice before I left, before she died:  "Mare, don't worry. Just relax & enjoyed the (Miss Universe) pageant while you still can." Then they called me, really, did they called in the Philippines?!? I just went to take my place along with the rest of the 14 ladies who're called before me. Even though one of my biggest supporters is gone, I can hear her advice in my mind.  I looked at the lights & I softly talked to the ceiling & the lights, saying "Hoy, Mare! I made into the semi-finals. I hope that I can keep up with the progress I'm at now. Kaya na ako yan!"

Author's Note: While on her way to the Miss Bicolandia 2010 Excutive Committee Meeting at the Park Avenue Hotel in Naga City on a red Toyota Innova, Meldoy Adelhied Manuel Gersbach died in a car accident in the town of Bula, Camarine Sur, Philippines on August 21, 2010 at around 11 am. Also killed in the said accidents are her makeup artist Alden Orense & driver Santos Ramos, Jr.; her friend, Roland Lita, was the only one who surivived from the accident. Reports revaled that the bus driver invovled, Wilson Pontillas/ Fontillas, was trying to avoid a tricycle when he lost control of it, crashing onto the Innova and injuring many bus passengers. Gersbach was not yet 25 years old when she died. 

Venus Raj, her friend & apprentice, was gearing up for the Miss Universe 2010 pageant in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA when news of her mentor/ friend's death breached in. According to Mrs. Stella Marqeuz-Araneta, the chairperson of the Bb. Pilipinas Charities Inc., she tried to ask Raj to ake a statement on the said matter but failed due to tight security & preparations were on full swing, yet she revealed that Raj broke into tears upon hearing it. Nevertheless, she was able to pull herself together & became the 4th runner-up to the eventual winner Ximena Navarette of Mexico. She was able to go home in time for Gersbach's funeral & burial. Gersbach's remains were transferred to Heritage Park in Taguig City for a week & were buried in her childhood hometown of Angeles City, Pampanga.

As of today, Pontillas/ Fontillas is under scrutiny of the Bula police concerning the case against him despite being already released by the police.