thirty-four. her vibe is pretty

Come morning, Iola found herself in Professor Dumbledore's office sitting across from him at his desk as she held a finger out for his phoenix to nip. Winky was beside her, body shaking with her sobs as she curled in on herself clutching tissues to her face. 

He didn't say anything just yet as he watched her with soulful, knowing eyes as she kept a hand on the house-elves back in silent support. 

He soundlessly offered her a lemon drop from the bowl on his desk. 

She denied it with a soft shake of her head, tilting her head to get a better look at the portraits around the room. She made a soft humming sound, reading the names of the previous Headmaster's -- only pausing briefly at Phineas Black to search his features quickly for something that might have been familiar to her. 

There was nothing that she could see of herself in him. She wondered, for a small moment, what it was that she got from the Black family gene pool, but she really couldn't tell. 

Iola had the same facial structure as her mother, if not much smoother, more fae-like in a way that reminded her of her great-aunt Aeres. Her black hair, she figured, she got from her father, at least, but the eyes could have been from either. Somehow, she wasn't sure if that made her feel better at all. 

One terrible family or another, she just -- she didn't really want either. 

"I'm glad you were able to come and see me," Dumbledore says. "You have heard the news, I presume." 

Winky chokes, a wailing cry leaving her as she collapsed to the floor. Iola winces at the display, mouth pulling into a harsh line as she averts her gaze kindly. 

"Yes, I heard the moment that we have returned. I sent Ponpy to be with Winky immediately. I do not think it helped, it seems." She pats Winky's head, hoping that it provides comfort of some sort. "Does this meeting have something to do with M. Crouch and Winky?" 

"I'm aware that you have been caring for Winky when you had the time. Your house-elf Ponpy has been watching after her, it would seem," Professor Dumbledore says, smiling at her in a gentle, inviting manner. "This is not a typical situation, it is a very tragic, saddening happening that has come to pass, but I have arrived at the conclusion that it would be best for young Winky if she was to come under your employment. I wished to discuss this with you both." 

"If it is already with Winky, then we have room for her in my house," Iola says. 

Winky sniffles, picking her head up slowly. "Misses ams wanting Winky?" 

"Of course I want you, Winky. You are more than welcome to work for me and I believe that Ponpy will be pleased to have the help. He is not accustomed to doing so much alone. You will be given a monthly allowance on top of payment to spend however you wish. You will be expected to dress appropriately and in a matching manner to Ponpy. I will provide your wardrobe for you, so do not worry about buying clothes," she says. "That is, if you should agree that you would like to work for me and not Professor Dumbledore here at Hogwarts." 

"You see, Winky, it is my belief that after so many years employed to a singular family unit, it would be best for you to work with a singular family once more if you so choose," Dumbledore tells the young elf. 

  "Winky is getting to pick?" 

"Winky may pick, yes. Whatever you believe will be better for you," Iola says gently, patting the house-elf's head once more and before pulling fully away. "Professor Dumbledore is giving you the option to work where you wish." 

"Winky has never decided," the elf mutters silently. "Winky wants what the masters want." 

Professor Dumbledore does a closed eye smile, squinting a happy expression at the creature that has her restraining from raising a brow at the elderly man. It was almost as if he was trying to pawn the depressed elf onto her.