Is It My Body

IS IT MY BODYchapter sevenjanuary 27, 1975

IS IT MY BODY
chapter seven
january 27, 1975

"Alright Harry, let's just start with a warm up until the others get here." Celest suggested, following closely behind Harry as he began to walk into the studio.

"And if I don't want to, Sunflower?" He tempted, his hair long and shaggy swooping into his eyes - eyes that pierced right through her own and seemingly into her soul. The emerald green was so mesmerizing that she couldn't look away despite the strong feeling that she wanted to.

"'Sunflower,'  that one's new." She huffed in annoyance at the new nickname.

"What? You don't like it?" He looked her up and down as he took his lip between his index and thumb, trying to hide a smirk. "Not got the same ring as 'Angel,' I suppose."

"I didn't know we were on a multi-nickname basis, Styles. Would you just get in there? Jeff will be here any minute, as well as the band and the one guy he knows from the pizza shop. He says he's really something, you know? Might be a good option since the other dickhead canceled on us."

"I still can't believe that other guy didn't fucking show." He said darkly, clearly irritated at his actions. "Hopefully this one won't be such an asshole."  He plugged in his guitar to the amplifier in the corner of the room, rolled his head around to loosen up, and began to place his fingers on three different chords to play a simple tune before pushing the guitar to rest on his hip.

"You don't have to be so rude, yeah? Maybe he had family stuff come up, we don't know. Sure, I don't like it as much as you, but you don't have to be so bitter." Celest muttered as she picked up the other guitar in the corner of the room.

She hadn't played in quite a while, at least not since the whole fiasco with Elliot went down, and what a hell hole that was for her. She smiled as she repositioned it for the new band members to make room for them. She didn't know who left it there, but it sure was played a lot looking at the state of the wear on the neck of it. Celest assumed it was probably there for people to try it out.

"What have I got - that makes you want to love me? Is it my body," He began to sing as he ran his hand down his torso before swinging the guitar around to the front of his body, looking at her with a leerily expression as he ignored her lecture.

"...Or someone I might be. Something inside me-" He smirked as he sang into the microphone "You better tell me, tell me, it's really up to you-"

He sang so adamantly that she didn't bother interrupting him to say that his new band had arrived. His eyes were closed as the last line of the song approached just as quickly as when he had started strumming the same chords he was before.

"Have you got the time to find out who I really am, babe?" He opened his eyes before proceeding, locking eyes with Celest before quickly adverting them to the people beside her.

Harry unwrapped himself from the old guitar, slipping it into the stand in the corner of the room just as Celest had.

"I'll have to say - not bad on the guitar yourself. I'm Mitch. Your hair is quite long isn't it? Longer than mine I'd say." As one tall, dark headed man introduced himself to the other. He was clearly a bit shy and closed off yet seemed so eager to play - but that certainly didn't bother Harry or Celest.

"And I'm Jeff Bhasker, I'll help produce everything - to help make this album work the way you want it to." Jeff smiled as he shook Harry's hand, stepping around Mitch to do so.  "I guess it's time to introduce you to your band, isn't it? Harry, this is Sarah Jones. She's a badass on the drums and has done some killer backing vocals in the time I've known her.

You've already met Mitch Rowland, a good friend of mine - killer on guitar. Ny Oh and Charlotte Clark over there are on keys and vocals. Over there's Adam Prendergast, he'll be your bass player. And you've already met Celest, I hope." He chuckled at himself.

Harry kept a straight face as he took everything in - it was clear he couldn't care less and didn't want to be there in the first place, so Celest made herself comfortable on the black couch for god only knew was to come.

"Alright everybody, I guess we should just get started." Harry said, rubbing his hands on his black jeans as he positioned himself on the couch next to Celest. He didn't do introductions very much - not crazy about talking about his life or anything else that had anything to do with him - but if Celest's feelings were right, he would have to open up at some point.

Everybody stood around as they waited for Harry to continue with his speech. Jeff took a seat at the panel as Harry finished.

"I have a few ideas for the opener, a bang, a true rocker, y'know?"

Stunned expressions wrote themselves onto the faces of the group; even Celest herself had to hide hers with a small smile. She popped up and took the empty seat next to Jeff looking at all of the buttons and switches. Mitch grabbed his guitar first before following Harry into the booth, and then everyone else took their positions. She looked back to Harry and said "Well, let's hear it."

He stood up slowly, grabbed his guitar again and opened the small black door to the inside of the booth as he looked back to Celest, her mind swimming in a sea of curiosity. He could see her through the glass, and even without hearing her Harry could tell she was already asking Jeff what each button did. Harry took the capo off of the fret it was on, rested it on the tip of the guitar, and waited for his queue. Celest smiled widely as she stuck her thumb up for him, sliding the second pair of headphones over one ear for a closer listen.

"I was thinking it starts with 'She worked her way through a cheap pack of cigarettes,'" He threw his head back as he strummed as if he was trying to jog his memory of a song he had dreamt of or even lived, "Hard liquor mixed with a bit of intellect - and all the boys they were saying they were into it," He looked up. Celest was hovering over the controls turning up the volume for what he assumed was his guitar as Jeff mixed the vocals.

"Such a pretty face, on such a pretty neck. She's driving me crazy - but I'm into it."

"I'm into it, I'm kinda into it - It's gettin"  Charlotte harmonized on the mic above her keys, unsure of when to play - if even at all. Mitch stared at the chords Harry was strumming, playing along with him in his own specific way.

"Crazy, I think I'm losing it, I think I'm losing it, Oh I think she said - I'm having your baby! It's none of your business." He stopped; Everyone in the room looked up at him as he lifted the guitar strap over his shoulder.

"What?" He questioned hesitantly through the microphone before exiting the small booth. "That's as far as I've gotten. Don't know where else to go with it."

Sarah smiled from her seat at the drums, her glance looking towards Mitch as he adjusted the tune of the instrument in his hands. "I think we can help you with that."