Chapter 3

"Okay, what the hell did Jack say to that Interpol agent that made them think he was a victim ?" Merritt asked the other two Horsemen as they jumped into the car, finally making their last escape to Central Park.

"It was obviously convincing." Daniel said distastefully. The cleanup they had to add to their video was not something he enjoyed- it had derailed their original plan, made them add to script and make sure the world knew that Jack Wilder was just as talented and used in their shows as the rest of them, even if he wasn't front and center for most of the time.

"Does it matter?" Henley asked with a grin. "It got rid of a lot of the pressure we would've felt if they weren't spending their time mourning over his death. It also distracted them from the possibility of foul play in his death."

"She's right about that." Merritt nodded as they began to get closer to their destination. "The scared kid accidentally crashing his car because he's scared of what we'll do to him if he fails is a much better story than him just accidentally spinning out of control. It's a much better story than what you came up with, Atlas."

Daniel looked at him, rolling his eyes although he agreed- he just didn't need to be vocal about it. He was never one to sing Jack's praises, but the story the media had painted for him was much better for their situation, even if it did make them a bit less liked than they'd hoped.

They pulled up to Central Park, quickly getting out and abandoning the car and the keys before they made their way to the front gate. "It's locked." Henley declared, grabbing the padlock that was wrapped around the bars.

"Weren't you listening?" Jack appeared in the darkness, a rare smirk painted across his face. "Nothing's ever locked."

"Well done, Mr. Wilder!" Henley praised as he reached forwards, unlocking it easily as the group broke out into praises.

"You're a big boy now, Jack." Merritt said, clapping him on the back as he opened the gate for them. "Although, I'm not sure the media recognizes that." Jack smiled, shaking his head at that as they joined him inside the park.

They quickly made their way to the Lionel Shrike tree- Daniel was too focused on their final goal to sing anymore praises then he had to, now that they were so close. All it took was waving their cards in front of the card in the glass and the carousel lit up, already beginning to spin and playing a tinny song through its speakers.

"No way," Jack said as the person in front of the carousel finally came into their view.

"I did not see that coming." Merritt admitted as their eyes fell onto FBI Agent Rhodes, arms splayed in welcoming as he grinned at the Four Horsemen.

"That was actually pretty good." Daniel nodded in a rare state of shock as they slowed to a stop in front of him.

"Thank you," Dylan nodded, looking at each of them with a proud look on his face.

"When I said always be the smartest guy in the room..." Daniel clarified. The others rolled their eyes. Always one to focus on himself.

"We were in agreement." Dylan said, crossing his arms. "Henley." He said to the shocked woman, nodding to her as the smile on his face only seemed to grow with her quietness.

"I've never seen her speechless." Danny commented offhandedly, making her elbow him in his side as he frowned at her, not realizing what he had said wrong.

"Hey man, I am so sorry for kicking your ass. Really." Jack spoke up, seemingly worried based on his expression. Dylan shook his head, waving his arms.

"No worries." Dylan said. "And that innocent act you pulled? That wasn't in the plans I gave you, was it?" Jack glanced between Dylan and the others, smiling as he shook his head.

"No." He said. "I just figured, everyone always loves kids much more when they're the victim, so it wouldn't hurt my case if I pretended." He shrugged, making Dylan nod along.

"Genius." Dylan said. "Misdirection at its finest. Really." Jack grinned. That was all he needed for any worries that had formed when Dylan's identity was revealed to melt away. He had done it, more successfully than Dylan could have hoped for.

That was all he needed to hear.