ℂ ℍ 𝔸 ℙ 𝕋 𝔼 ℝ 𝕆 ℕ 𝔼

C H A P T E R  O N E

The sun is shining though Camryn's bedroom window, breaking through the cream colored curtains and hitting her face. Camryn shifted in her bed as she opened her eyes to the impending sunlight. Rubbing her eyes, she looks at her alarm clock on her nightstand and reads the time. 6:50 am. Normally her alarm sounds at 7:00 am, but she was spared the earache by waking ten minutes early. Camryn decided to take advantage of this and crawled out of bed. Today was her first day of high school as a sophomore, and she was prepared to make the most of it.

The young teen walked towards her bathroom and looked in the mirror. Her hair was in a black silk bonnet, which was crucial for her hair care. She turned on her sink to brush her teeth and wash her face. Camryn had horrible acne throughout middle school, so she washed her face religiously and never skipped a day of her acne treatment. After patting her face dry she applied concealer to her honey colored skin and small black winged eyeliner to her eyes. While she regularly did not wear makeup, today was a special occasion. She finished off her natural look with mascara and nude lipstick.

Camryn pulled the bonnet off of her head to reveal her beautiful dark curls. While her hair appeared to be rather short, when it was straight, it fell past her shoulders. For years Camryn straightened her hair to hide her natural curls, however she has come to embrace her natural hair. Black coils that curled perfectly on her head, she ran her fingers through her hair to detangle any knots. Her hair was high maintenance, but the results were worth it to her.

The teen walked to her closest to pull out the outfit she had already picked for school. She threw on her burgundy long sleeved knitted sweater and black denim Levis. She put on the new white Converse she picked out for the school year, as well as her silver hoops her parents got for her birthday the year prior. Camryn loved jewelry, and the silver hoops were her favorite.

Camryn grabbed her black Jansport backpack and stuffed it with her notebooks and supplies. She made a mental note the night before to make an "emergency pack" for when she had her monthly menstrual. Pain meds, panty liners, feminine wipes, pads and tampons. Everything.

Camryn made her way downstairs to greet her parents and eat breakfast. Her mother and father were in the kitchen making Camryn's favorite, blueberry pancakes with bacon and eggs, over-easy. The teen made her way to the coffee maker and poured herself a cup of hazelnut coffee with light vanilla cream.

"Good morning my sunflower!" her father sang, handing her a serving of breakfast.

"Good morning dad," Camryn smiled, then looking towards her mother, "mom."

"Good morning sweetie," her mother said, walking over to kiss her on the head, "you look beautiful."

Camryn's mother answered her ringing phone and walked into the other room, leaving the kitchen. Camryn took a sip of her coffee while eating her breakfast. Her father leaned over the counter that Camryn was sitting at.

"Are you excited for your first day of school?" he asked enthusiastically. Camryn couldn't help but smile at her old man. He was a computer scientist that worked for S.H.I.E.L.D., a "secret" government organization. Dr. Lance Foster, as he's formally known, served in the United States Air Force for eight years before retiring and moving on to S.H.I.E.L.D.. Her mother, Diana Foster, served in the United States Army for ten years as a Human Intelligence Collector before retiring and moving on to work for the Pentagon. Her parents' jobs keep them busy most days, however they always make time for their little girl.

"I am, but I'm also nervous," Camryn admitted.

Lance gave her a soft smile, "firsts, good or bad, are always memorable."