Twelfth Night: Is Acceptance The Same as Denial?

"Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation."
- Habakkuk 3:17‭-‬18

Reflection:

Cartoonist Bill Watterson stated in his comic strip 'Calvin and Hobbes', "It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept."

Many times we were reminded that we must remember what God has done for us time and time again so we will know and be reminded who God is. But sometimes, even when we remember all that God has done for us, it doesn't change our circumstances. Sometimes, we just have to accept that it's beyond our understanding right now and we just need to keep going. However, we must also realize that acceptance is not denial.

When you accept what God is doing, you don't simply stuff your feelings down and let your heart die and be discouraged, even as you're practicing your smile in the mirror and memorizing Bible verses. When you accept that God's up to something that you can't see or understand right now, you don't just roll over and play dead and resign yourself to despair. No, you keep praying for a miracle from him unless he tells you otherwise. But you don't pretend that everything is okay when clearly it's not.

Habakkuk certainly couldn't pretend and keep his head in the sand. After he questioned God and the Lord responded by telling him that he was going to use the wicked Babylonians to destroy Israel, Habakkuk said, "I heard and my heart pounded, my lips quivered at the sound; decay crept into my bones, and my legs trembled" (Habakkuk 3:16 NIV). His response is visceral, something that comes from a strong emotion and not in any logic or reasoning. You know that sinking sensation you get in your gut when something bad happens that's beyond your control? That's what Habakkuk was facing.

When Habakkuk accepted reality while waiting on God, it wasn't denial. It was faith. Not faith that God would do what Habakkuk wanted God to do. But faith in God's character. Habakkuk goes on to say, "The sovereign hand of God is doing something here. God has spoken, so I'll accept whatever he is doing, as difficult as that may be for me."

My friend, there will come a time (or it may have come already) that something is going to happen that we don't like. It may also be happening right now... in this times of pandemic and unexpected calamities.

You remember what God has done. You accept what God is doing. You trust what God is going to do. Even when you don't understand what was going on, you have to accept that God is really in control.

Prayer:

Heavenly Father, I believe in Your Sovereign hand that You will do something according to Your will and purpose. Holy Spirit, remind me of who You are and teach me to trust in God more each day. Help me accept that God is in control even if I don't understand what was going on in my life and in my surroundings. I pray that I become the Lord Jesus Christ who is gentle and meek. Amen.