6

We walk home under the dark purple sky, our hands sticky with slushee syrup. There's a slight breeze and when I look over at Heather I see her hair slightly moving with it. She smiles at the ground. "I haven't had this much fun in a long time." I smile as well, looking up at the sky. "Well, I'm glad to be the one to bring the fun back." I notice that the town park is ahead of us and I hop in excitement. "Heather, let's race to the park." She looks at me weirdly and I frown. "What?! Is it bad that I like to race?" Her lips curl slightly. "It's kind of childish." I scoff loudly at her words. I look ahead of us. "You know what?" I point at her accusingly then suddenly sprint off towards the park. "Hey!- That's a head start!" I laugh like a maniac as she runs after me. I reach a baseball dugout and I'm almost out of breath. I look behind me and Heather is only a few feet away from me. I shriek loudly from this fact and shuffle as quickly as I can. Before I can get farther away from her though, she slams into the back of me, while wrapping her arms around me causing me to fall. I land face first into the dirt. Heather laughs excitedly. "I got you!" She turns me over on my back so I face her, straddling me in the process. "Ow....." She winces when she sees I busted my lip from the ground. "Oh....sorry."

Heather buys a cold soda from a nearby soda machine and gives it to me to hold against my lip. We sit on the stadium benches and talk about this and that. After a while Heather looks at me in concern. "How is your lip feeling now?" I laugh nervously. "It honestly feels like it's throbbing. But it feels a little better." She scoots closer to me. "Let me look-" I move the soda off my lip. She leans in looking closely. She sighs. "It looks swollen. Can I feel it to see how swollen it is?" Since when did she consider herself a specialist in injuries? "Um, sure." She carefully uses her pointer finger and thumb to check my lip out. As soon as she touches it though, I feel a wave of pain and flinch. "Ow!" I jerk my head away from her. "Oh my god, sorry." I laugh slightly. "It's okay." She comes closer again to feel my lip. As she does so, her eyes widen slightly. "God, your lips are soft." My body heats up at that compliment. "Thanks," I says bluntly. She moves away after feeling my lip. "Yeah, it's definitely swollen," She says, still looking at my lips. Wasn't that obvious though? "Yeah, it definitely feels like it is," I say, pushing out a laugh as I experience more throbbing pain. "I guess we should go then," She says. "Agreed."

After several back and forth "yeses" and "noes", I finally give in and let her walk me home. We are neighbors though, so it was going to happen anyway. We arrive at my doorstep and I thank her for hanging out with me and saving me from the other Heathers. She smiles. "Of course." As I turn around to open my door, she grabs me and spins me back around. "Wait," she says and grabs my chin gently. "Make sure you put something on your lip to ease the pain, okay? Maybe numbing cream or something?" I nod and say, "Absolutely I will, this hurts. A lot." We both laugh then part. As I step inside I turn around and watch her disappear into her house.

Sorry for taking so long to update. My mental health has been really fucking bad so I've been feeling absolutely horrible and unmotivated to do almost anything. Hope you enjoyed this new chapter.