Chapter 63

Authors note: If you like my story please vote, add your libraries, and comment. It lets me know that you enjoy the direction it is going in. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Enjoy!

Chapter 63

It was half time, and I walked down the steps behind a group of freshmen carrying signs for one of the defensive players. When they cleared out, I saw Abigail on the field with the other cheerleaders.

"Hey," I said, walking up to her.

"Oh hey, Cecilia, what's up?" She asked in her usual bored tone, taking a sip of water from her thermos.

"Did you tell Cameron that Nicole wasn't into him?"

"What?"

"Did you mess with them? Cameron told me someone did, and it seems like something you would do, but I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt."

"Why would you assume it's me?"

"Because I've never seen Cameron with anyone besides you and Robbie."

"What about Robbie?" Robbie asked, coming up to us. His cheeks were red, and his hair was wet with sweat. He came up behind me placing his hands on my shoulders and kissed my head.

"Cute couple," Abigail said, rolling her eyes.

"I was telling Abigail that you and her are the only people Cameron talks to."

He looked lost and slightly shrugged his shoulders, not knowing whether I wanted him to agree with me or not.

"Look, Lia, I didn't tell Cameron anything about your friend. You can tell Lana that she can stop inventing bullshit," Abigail said her voice losing some edge to it. 

I looked at her considering whether she was telling the truth. For a second, she looked genuine and like the girl who had started to become my friend. Then one of her cheer groupies made a gurgling noise, and her countenance shifted as if she remembered who she was expected to be. 

She smiled cruelly, "Although I must say it was probably for the best. That boy gets ahead of himself too fast. He's getting sloppy with his choices. Getting over her is the best thing that happened to him. God knows someone like Cameron shouldn't be seen with that trash."

One of her lackeys giggled.

I felt myself lunge at her; Robbie's arm instantly came around my waist, pulling me close to him. He grabbed my wrists with his other hand and held them together.

I heard the coach yell, "Bennett, get that girl off the field; we're starting in five."

"God, Lia, calm down." She laughed.

"Scholarship kids are so feral," the lackey said, probably to gain Abigail's favor. Her eyes flicked up to check for approval as soon as she said it.

Abigail exhaled a laugh, "You know you were right; he does only talk to Robbie and me. Maybe you ask Robbie what happened."

I felt Robbie stiffen behind me.

Another one of her other lackeys, a tiny freshman who was always flying during cheer formations, added, "Yeah, he can explain to her how girls like that are only good for fun and not for actual consideration."

Abigail's blue eyes widened and shot her protégée a look that said, 'Too fucking far.'

"Well, that's what he said, I remember," She sputtered, realizing her faux pas and trying not to fall out of Abigail's graces.