viii. trick or traitor

chapter 8 - trick or traitor

Have you ever played tug of war? You know, the game in which two teams pull opposite ends of a rope until eventually one drags the other over the central line? Normally, the game requires a judge of some sort, to be the mediator and announce when the mark on the rope has crossed over that line. However, what happens when both teams are of equal balance? When there's just enough strong contestants on one team, as there are on the other? Well, that usually results in the rope going back and forth between both teams, repeatedly, while the judge waits patiently to declare the winner.

The reason I'm describing the statistics of this specific game, is so that you can possibly understand how Dakota had been feeling last night after Octavia and Clarke returned. You see, she was feeling like the judge in a game of tug of war, as she battled internally with her heart and mind. On one side, her mind was telling her to head back to Polis with Clarke, Indra and her sister. There, she would be much safer and assist the Commander in meeting with the twelve clans. Her and Lexa were now as close as ever and she'd hate to be apart from her now.

However, her heart was telling her to remain at Arkadia, where her brother was currently being held a prisoner. Really, there wasn't a specific thing she could do to free him at this moment, nor the other grounders from the medical bay. But still, she knew that the plan was to keep an eye on Pike and Bellamy, and in all honesty, she'd rather do that than deal with Commander duties. Besides, this way Kota would actually feel like she's doing something to fix the main issue at hand, while waiting for the time to strike. Plus, Octavia would be right by her side, and there's no other place she'd rather be.

Finally, Dakota had came to a decision that morning. She decided to remain near camp with Octavia, and wait to hear back from Kane, who promised he'd radio if anything changed. Lexa was definitely against the idea at first, however, she knew that nothing she could say would stop her. Plus, she understood her sister's reasoning. That, and the simple fact that Lexa would forever be in great debt to Lincoln, whether she admitted to it or not. That man went out of his way not only to take care of her baby sister when she couldn't, but also raise her to become the fine young woman she was today. She wasn't going to stand in the way of Kota doing everything in her power to help him. Even if it went being separated once more.

Their parting was sorrowful, but quick, given the knowledge that it most likely wouldn't be long before they saw each other again. Dakota realized that even though she would miss Lexa greatly, right now Lincoln was her priority. She was furious with the horrible leadership happening in that camp, solely because her friends and family were in there. Sick ones in need of on-the-clock care were being isolated, just because Pike decided that there wasn't enough supplies to go around, and no one was doing anything about it.

So, Kota promised herself that she would do everything in her power to make things right. If that meant waiting patiently outside Arkadia's walls, while spying on Pike's trusty minions, then she would do so with utmost determination. Which actually led her to where she was now.