CHAPTER SIXTY EIGHT: Requests

Comenzar desde el principio

"Hearing that come out of your mouth...almost feels wrong..." He murmured, fingers threading loosely in my (H/C) hair. "Calling me Sir, especially now, after revealing our connection...Why?" I couldn't quite understand what the problem was. First Levi, now Erwin? Hadn't they wanted me to call them as such?

"I guess I just had a revelation, of sorts. I need to grow the hell up. I mean...you aren't him...He's dead. Why should I keep myself chained to the trauma? It's just a word..." It still felt bitter on my tongue, but I'd learn. I'd cope and manage. I had to fall into line, at least in some way.

Erwin's hum of acknowledgement was distant, and he ruffled his hand further into my hair, messing it up.
"If that's how you feel...but I'd much prefer keeping things between us more casual when off duty...if you're willing to give me a chance to step up at such a late time..."

Chewing on my lip, I pulled his hand from my head, using my other to give it a small pat before returning it to his side for him.
"We'll work on it..." I agreed, still kind of unsure on the matter, but willing to give him a chance. If I was going to change, then I needed to stop pushing and start pulling.

Offering me a more genuine smile, Erin nodded his head to me, his posture seeming to improve.
"I appreciate it. Now, would you care to join me in my hunt for the elusive Hange?" He asked, but I shook my head, starting to turn in another direction.
"No, thanks. I'm not really up for that much enthusiasm this time of night. I'll catch you later...d...Winnie..."

No, it doesn't feel right yet...

Parting ways with the commander, I found myself sitting on another stack of crates, my breath fogging in front of me in thick puffs. It would snow soon, and things would just get harder within the walls. Food would be scarcer, and people would get antsy. Still, I was glad we weren't heading to Shiganshina before it hit. I wasn't prepared for whatever, or whoever, could be there.

I jumped a little as something fell over my shoulders, and turned to find Jean, laying his coat over me.
"Are you stupid? You're gonna freeze to death." He grumbled under his breath, and it was then that I realised I was, in fact, terribly cold.

"I thought we established that more than once..." I chuckled vacantly, pulling the sides in to cover my chest more. "Thanks, Jean-Boy..." Leaning beside where my legs hung, Jean looked up at the sky, stars dappling the darkened blue black.

"Connie nearly popped a vessel when he heard you went outside the wall." He sighed, fingers tapping against the wood. "Not gonna lie, I nearly did too, especially when you didn't come back. I should've known you were up to no good when we passed you in town."

Snorting, I relaxed beside him, though something inside of me was still on edge.
"I was trying to bring some cattle in, but I realised I'm not that great at rounding them up. My horse is still out there, living the life."

That's right. It's guilt.

I felt guilty about what had happened with Levi now that Jean was with me. I was out to fix all of my problems, but that was going to be easier said than done. My feelings were all mixed up, and I wasn't sure which direction to go, if any at all.

"I'm surprised the Captain didn't drag your soggy ass back." Jean chuckled, tilting his head as he looked at me. "I bet you two had a lot of fun without having to deal with a whole squad. That's your element out there." Internally cringing at his choice of terminology, I wrapped myself up tighter in his coat, hunching a bit.

"Actually...I'm pretty sure I pissed him off more than ever. Thanks to me, he got his boots all mucked up..." Thankfully, Jean found that mental image amusing, and didn't ask anything further about the situation. Instead, he changed the subject, almost excitedly.
"Hey, I have a rare day off tomorrow. I was thinking maybe we could, um, do that something I mentioned?"

Ah, yes. The something.

Taking my turn to gaze up at the sky, I hummed, heels tapping against the crates I sat upon.
"Do you have any ideas for said something, or are we just gonna wing it?" I queried, pulling my legs up and standing, enjoying how much taller I seemed compared to the man by my side.

"Well, I was thinking that maybe we could hit the marketplace first? Something away from the military bustle. What do you think? Do...you wanna spend the day with me..?" He offerred me his hand, looking up at me with hopefull, honeysuckle eyes, and I hesitated.

I seriously screwed up last night. I wasn't thinking. I shouldn't be trying to dance around with Jean after that, but...it doesn't have to be that kind of a date, right? Friends go out too...right..?

Slipping my hand into his, I nodded, allowing him to help me down, making sure I quickly put some distance between us when his hand lingered in mine.
"On one condition." I spoke up, holding up a single finger. Jean rolled his eyes, lightly scoffing at my moxie.
"Pffft, I've heard of these fabled (Y/N) conditions. What is it?"

"You gotta buy me a whole loaf of bread for breakfast. A big one. I want the entire thing. All to myself."

.
.
.
.
.
***Fluff incoming.

First chapter update of the year, my dudes. I personally feel like shit, but I hope everyone had a great New Years!

I'm trying to work on an animatic to prove as a trailer/accompaniment to this story...but my animation skills are awful, and with all the gear and zipping and zooming and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Anyway, yeah, it'll be to the english cover of Sasageyo by NateWantsToBattle.

Next Time: Totally Not a Date***